[College Physics II: Waves/Optics] Index of Refraction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
AgentRedfield
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A solid glass cube with edge length of 10.0 mm and index of refraction n=1.75 has a small, dark spot dead center of the cube. Find the minimum radius of black paper circles that could be pasted at the center of each cube face to prevent the center spot from being seen, no matter what the direction of viewing.
Picture (link)
jh1AnCK.png

Homework Equations


Snell's Law (maybe?)
n1/n2=sin(θ2)/sin(θ1)

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm really confused where to even start. A hint in the right direction is all I'm hoping for. Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
Hint: total internal reflection.
I was able to figure it out. Thank you!