Calculating Resonant Frequencies of Closed Air Columns

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
qszwdxefc
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A closed air column is 60.0cm long. Calculate the frequency of the forks that will cause resonance at:

a) the first resonant length
b) the second resonant length

Note that the speed of sound is 344m/s.

Homework Equations



Ln = (2n - 1) * [tex]\lambda[/tex] / 4

fn = (2n - 1)f1, where f1 = V/4L and 4L = [tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I cannot figure out what the actual magnitude of the resonant length is, and don't know how to begin solving the problem.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
On the back of the page, the question additionally asks for the third resonant length.

The textbook provides answers for a, b, and c as 143Hz, 430Hz, and 770Hz respectively. When I reversed the calculations for c), they used a third resonant length of 60.0cm, which was the length of the whole air column.

I still can't figure out how they got the answers for a and b though :S.
 
qszwdxefc said:
On the back of the page, the question additionally asks for the third resonant length.

The textbook provides answers for a, b, and c as 143Hz, 430Hz, and 770Hz respectively. When I reversed the calculations for c), they used a third resonant length of 60.0cm, which was the length of the whole air column.

I still can't figure out how they got the answers for a and b though :S.

Perhaps I misled with my typo, though you wrote it correctly

But to state your equations again:
f1 = v/(4L)
fn = (2n - 1)*f1

4*L = 4*.6 = 2.4

f1 = 343/2.4 = 143

f2 = 3*f1

f3 = 5*f1