Calculating reversible adiabatic expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the calculation of expansion work done by a reversibly adiabatic balloon. The problem gives information about a 2kg parcel of air at T1=32°C and p1= 0.8 atm which expands until it is at T2=12°C. Additionally, during the expansion, 3.2g of water will condense due to the decrease in temperature. The vaporization energy of water, ΔvapH(water) = 40.65kJ mol-1, is also given. The relevant equations for solving the problem are dU+dW=dQ=0, W=-pdV, and W=CvΔT. However, it
Azivegu
I have some homework that I am just not able to figure out.

There is a 2kg parcel of air at T1=32°C and p1= 0.8 atm
This parcel of air expands until it is at T2=12°C

Also, during the expansion 3.2 g of water will condense due to the dT (ΔvapH (water) = 40.65kJ mol-1

Also: Cv=0.718 kJ kg-1K-1I understand that dU+dW=dQ=0
and that W=-pdV and w=CvΔT

The steps should be calculating the expansion work, then subtracting the heat from condensation to figure out the work, but I just keep drawing blanks. Can anybody help me? I am not looking for an answer, but mainly the steps to calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't clear exactly what you are being asked to calculate. Please clarify.

Chet

Sorry, I believe I misunderstood the template being that this is my first time here. I hope that the following is more clear.

Homework Statement

Calculate the expansion work done by a reversibly adiabatic balloon.
Mass air parcel: 2 kg
T1=32°C = 305K
p1= 0.8 atm = 81060 Pa
T2= 12°C = 285K
Cv= 0.718 kJ kg-1K-1

Also, during expansion 3.2g water vapor will condense due to the falling temperature.
The vaporization energy of water is ΔvapH(water) = 40.65kJ mole-1

Homework Equations

dU+dW=dQ=0
W=-pdV
W=CvΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made multiple attempts, but so far none have been successful. I think this is mostly because I am not sure what steps to use.

Your relevant equations suggest that you kind-of have the right idea. Irrespective of whether the process is reversible, if Q = 0, you must have that ΔU=-W. (Your equation for dW = -pdV is incorrect. It should be dW = +pdV).

The question is, "do you have enough information in the problem statement to calculate ΔU?" You certainly have enough information to get the change in internal energy of the air. What is that equal to? In the case of the water, it isn't clear. In my judgement, you need to know how much water vapor was initially in the balloon. If, in the initial state, the water vapor partial pressure were equal to its equilibrium saturation vapor pressure, how much water would there have been in the balloon?

Chet

1. How do you calculate the work done during a reversible adiabatic expansion?

The work done during a reversible adiabatic expansion can be calculated using the formula W = -nRTΔln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively.

2. What is the equation for calculating the change in internal energy during a reversible adiabatic expansion?

The change in internal energy during a reversible adiabatic expansion can be calculated using the equation ΔU = -W = nRTΔln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively.

3. How does the temperature change during a reversible adiabatic expansion?

During a reversible adiabatic expansion, the temperature of the gas decreases as the volume increases. This is because the gas is doing work on the surroundings, causing a decrease in internal energy and temperature. The relationship between temperature and volume during a reversible adiabatic expansion can be described by the equation T2/T1 = (V1/V2)^γ-1, where γ is the specific heat ratio of the gas.

4. What is the difference between a reversible and irreversible adiabatic expansion?

A reversible adiabatic expansion is a process where the gas expands and does work on the surroundings without exchanging heat with its surroundings. This means that the expansion is slow and the system is always in equilibrium. On the other hand, an irreversible adiabatic expansion is a process where the gas expands rapidly and there is no time for the system to reach equilibrium. This results in a change in temperature and internal energy of the gas.

5. How does the work done during a reversible adiabatic expansion compare to that of an irreversible adiabatic expansion?

The work done during a reversible adiabatic expansion is greater than that of an irreversible adiabatic expansion. This is because in a reversible process, the system is always in equilibrium and the work is done gradually, resulting in a greater amount of work being done. In an irreversible process, the system is not in equilibrium and the work is done rapidly, resulting in a smaller amount of work being done.