1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done in a reversible adiabatic expansion

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    Hi there!

I have to determine the work done of a reversible adiabatic expansion. Becauce the system is adiabatic: Q = 0 so [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = Wrev

Becauce both the pressure and the volume changes I can't use W = pex[tex]\Delta[/tex]V.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cv, Cp, Ti, Tf, Pi, Pf, Vi, Vf are known

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought at first that I could use [tex]\Delta[/tex]U = CV.[tex]\Delta[/tex]T but the volume is not constant so I don't know if I could use it.

Who can help me find the right formula?

Thanx in Advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Trowa, welcome to PF.

(1) Because no heat goes in or out of the system, and because the process is reversible, one state variable remains constant. It's one that you haven't listed. What is it?

(2) [itex]\Delta U =c_V\Delta T=(c_P-R)\Delta T[/itex] always holds for an ideal gas, and doesn't require constant volume, constant pressure, or any other condition.

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Thanx for the fast response.
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook