Problem about adiabatic expansion of gases

In summary, a calculation was done to find the heat, internal energy, and work of 1 mol of hydrogen undergoing a reversible adiabatic expansion. The final temperature was found to be 113.6 K, and the change in internal energy was calculated to be -3873.4 J. The work done by the system was determined to be 3873.4 J.
Rujano
Hello everyone. I would like to know if I did this correctly.

Homework Statement

Calculate the heat, internal energy and work of 1 mol of hydrogen, which undergoes a reversible adiabatic expansion from a volume of 5.25 m^3 at 300 K to a volume of 25.5 m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that I have to do is to find the final temperature using the following equation:

(Vf/Vi)^1-y * Ti = Tf

y = gamma

y = Cp/Cv

Because it's HYDROGEN (diatomic gas):

y = 7/2/5/2 = 1.4

(25.5 m^3/5.25 m^3)^1.4 * 300 K = Tf

Tf = 2741.9 K

so...

a) Heat

becuase it's an ADIABATIC expansion

Q = 0 J

b) Internal energy:

E = n Cv (Tf - Ti)

Cv = 5/2 * R

E = 1 mol * (5/2) * 8.31 J/mol K * ( 2741.9 K - 300 K)

E= 50730.47 J

c) Work

I've seen the equation in two different ways:

E = Q + W

AND...

E = Q - W

Anyway, I'll use the second one (because is the one I have to use according to the worksheet)...

W = Q - E

W = 0 J - 50730.47 J

W = - 50730.47 J

Is it ok?

Please check it out, because the worksheet doesn't have the answers and I want to know if I did it correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
" (25.5 m^3/5.25 m^3)^1.4 * 300 K = Tf "

Do you see an error here? You should be suspicious since you have computed an increase in E while at the same time having done positive work W ( = integral pdV). The 1st law doesn't like that if, as you correctly state, Q = 0 ... in the same vein, computing W as negative can't be right either ...

Tip - I would always use U = Q - W rather than U = Q + W, this defines W as the work done BY the system. This goes back to the early days of thermodynamics when steam engines were the fad and W was of course always positive. (Most people use U rather than E).

I would also add that the formulas for Cv are approximate - you can use the ideal gas law to get a precise answer without reverting to Cv.

Oh thank you. I see it now.

It was 1 - y and I forgot about doing this:

1 - 1.4 = - 0.4

So it plug into the equation the -0.4 instead of the 1.4 It get 113.6 K (final temperature)

So dT would be: 113.6 K - 300 K = - 186.4 K

That means that the Internal Energy is NEGATIVE

Therefore

U = q - w

q = 0

U = - w

w = - U

w = - (- 3873.4 J )

w = 3873.4 J

Is it ok now?

Much better!
Except the internal energy U is not negative; the CHANGE in U is negative.

Thank you again! I can't believe that I skipped that.

So, the final correct answer would be that:

* q = 0

* U = -3873.4 J

* w = 3873.4 J

U negative and w positive

It certainly would be. Except I haven't checked your algebra. But all your equations look right now. And Q = 0, ΔU < 0 and W = - ΔU are all most definitely correct.

1. What is adiabatic expansion of gases?

Adiabatic expansion of gases is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands without exchanging heat with the surrounding environment. This means that the gas is insulated and does not gain or lose heat during the expansion.

2. What is the difference between adiabatic and isothermal expansion?

The main difference between adiabatic and isothermal expansion is that in adiabatic expansion, there is no heat exchange with the surroundings, whereas in isothermal expansion, the temperature remains constant.

3. How does adiabatic expansion affect the temperature and pressure of a gas?

During adiabatic expansion, the gas experiences a decrease in pressure and temperature. This is because the expanding gas does work on its surroundings, which decreases its internal energy and therefore its temperature. Additionally, the decrease in pressure is a result of the gas taking up more space as it expands.

4. What is the equation for calculating the change in temperature during adiabatic expansion?

The equation for calculating the change in temperature during adiabatic expansion is ΔT = (T2 - T1) = (γ - 1) * (T1 * V1 / Cv) * (P2 / P1), where γ is the ratio of specific heats, T1 and T2 are the initial and final temperatures, V1 is the initial volume, P1 and P2 are the initial and final pressures, and Cv is the specific heat at constant volume.

5. How is adiabatic expansion used in real-world applications?

Adiabatic expansion is used in many real-world applications, such as in the operation of internal combustion engines and gas turbines. It is also utilized in the refrigeration and air conditioning industry, as well as in industrial processes such as gas compression and expansion. Additionally, adiabatic expansion is an important concept in atmospheric science and weather forecasting.