Calculating Second Moment of Aria for Hollow Square Beams

  • Thread starter Thread starter a5hl3yi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
a5hl3yi
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Question:

How do you work out the second moment of aria for a hollow square beam?

Attempt:

I have looked over my notes and it says how to get the second moment of aria for all beams but a hollow square one. It has I beam, Circulare beams, Rectangular...

How do you go about working it out for a hollow square beam?
 
Attachments
  • shtsrhrs.png
    shtsrhrs.png
    589 bytes · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically you just take the area moment of a solid square 100mm a side and subtract off the inside.
 
thanx.

So does that mean I would work out (100mm x 100mm) - (70mm x 70mm) and us that as the aria in the formula or work out the Moment of aria for the 100mm x 100mm and take off the moment of aria for a 70mmx70mm square?
 
Last edited: