1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second moment of area of a hollow cylindrical arc

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the second moment of area for a hollow cylindrical arc. When I searched the web, they had formulas for several shapes but I couldn't find this one The profile of my part is a little unusual as follows:
    R: Outer Radius = 35.089"
    r: Inner Radius = 35.050"
    (ie the material is 1mm thick)
    The angle of arc is only 10 degrees (so the arc length is only about 6 inches, ie the width of my part is only about 6 inches). The length of my part is 5'7", so the reason why I need the second moment of area, is because I'm trying to figure out how much deflection this very long, thin part will have in the middle, if it is supported on both ends.

2. Relevant equations

I know that, the second moment of area for hollow cylindrical cross section is:

(Pie/64) * (D4 - d4)

where D is the Ouside Diameter and d is the Inside Diameter.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the second moment of area for half a hollow cylindrical cross section (long complicated equation that I don't want to enter in here but only variables in the equation are R and r (Outside and inside radii). I know I have to get arc angle or length in there somehow. Help!!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?