Calculating Sin of Angle Between Two Vectors in 3D Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the cos and sin relationships between two arbitrary vectors in 3D space. The speaker is unsure of the correct term to search for more information and asks for clarification on the cosine form. They also mention an ambiguity in determining the position of the vectors using only the cosine relationship. The other participant responds by explaining how the dot product can be used to determine the position of the vectors based on the sign of the cosine. They also ask for clarification on the variables used in the formula.
touqra
For two arbitrary vectors in 3D space, subtending an angle, [tex] \gamma [/tex] , I know the cos relationship, but what's the sin relationship ? I ask because there is an ambiguity by only knowing the cosine form, since vector A can be either above or below vector B.

[tex]
cos\gamma = cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2 cos( \phi_1 - \phi_2 )
[/tex]

Sorry I ask a stupid question in this forum, but I didn't know what's the correct term I should type in the search engine to search in the internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question. Is there some reason you need to know which vector is above or below which? If you know the cosine of the angle between the two vectors--which you can get using the dot product: cos(gamma) = (A dot B)/(|A|*|B|)--the sign of cos(gamma) tells you whether gamma is in QI/QIV (cosine > 0) or in QII/QIII (cosine < 0).

I'm not familiar with your formula. What do theta1, theta2, phi1, and phi2 represent?

Hello,

I am happy to provide a response to your question regarding calculating the sine of the angle between two vectors in 3D space. The sine relationship can be derived from the cosine relationship that you have mentioned. It is given by the following formula:

sin\gamma = \sqrt{1-cos^2\gamma}

This formula can also be written as:

sin\gamma = \sqrt{1-(cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2 cos( \phi_1 - \phi_2 ))^2}

This formula takes into account the ambiguity you have mentioned, as it considers both the positive and negative values of the cosine. This will give you the correct value of the sine regardless of whether vector A is above or below vector B.

I hope this answers your question and helps you in your calculations. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. It is always important to clarify any doubts or uncertainties in scientific calculations.

Best regards,

Related to Calculating Sin of Angle Between Two Vectors in 3D Space

1. How do you calculate the sin of the angle between two vectors in 3D space?

The formula for calculating the sin of the angle between two vectors in 3D space is:

sin(θ) = (||a x b||) / (||a|| * ||b||)

Where a and b are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them. ||a|| and ||b|| represent the magnitudes of the vectors, and ||a x b|| represents the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors.

2. What is the significance of calculating the sin of the angle between two vectors?

Calculating the sin of the angle between two vectors allows us to determine the direction and magnitude of the difference between the two vectors. This can be useful in many applications, such as determining the orientation of objects in 3D space or calculating forces and velocities in physics problems.

3. Can the sin of the angle between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the sin of the angle between two vectors can be negative. This indicates that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the sin of the angle between two vectors in 3D space?

One limitation is that the formula only works for 3D space. It cannot be applied to vectors in higher dimensions. Additionally, the formula assumes that the vectors are not parallel or antiparallel, as the cross product would be zero in these cases.

5. How is the sin of the angle between two vectors related to the dot product?

The dot product of two vectors can be used to calculate the cos of the angle between them. The relationship between the sin and cos of an angle is: sin(θ) = cos(π/2 - θ). Therefore, the dot product can be used to indirectly calculate the sin of the angle between two vectors.