Calculating speedup given rates and execution time percentage

• Thread starter SpiffyEh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the new floating-point speeds up floating-point operations by 2x and takes up 20% of the original program execution time. The overall speedup is 1.235. With the added information in b), the overall speedup becomes 1.143. After implementing the new floating-point operations, 20% of the execution time is spent on floating-point operations and 10% is spent on data cache access.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

a) If the new floating-point speeds up floating-point operations by, on average, 2x, the floating-point operations take 20% of the original program execution time, what is the overall speedup(ignoring the penalty to any other instruction)?

b) Now assume that speeding up the floating-point unit slowed down the data cache access, resulting in a 1.5x slowdown or 2/3 speedup. Data cache accesses consume 10% of the execution time. What is the overall speedup now?

c) after implementing the new floating-point operations, what percentage of execution time is spend on floating-point operations? What percentage is spent on data cache access?

Homework Equations

Amdhal's law: speedup = 1/((1-fraction_enhanced)+(fraction_enhanced/speedup_enhanced))

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I used amdhal's law and solved part a and ended up with 1.235 speedup

b) I understand what it's asking but I don't understand how to use amdhal's law with two different speedup/slowdowns. Is there a way to do this?

c) I have no idea how to solve this part

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your working for section a) (ie. put numbers in the formula and solve by stages), because your answer is wrong.

Without ever having heard of Amdhal's law previously, I considered the case where the original execution time was 100s. From a), 20s of this was flops, and from b) 10s of this was cache access. Modifications to these numbers allowed me to calculate all the answers.

FAQ: Calculating speedup given rates and execution time percentage

1. How do you calculate speedup?

Speedup is calculated by taking the execution time of the original system and dividing it by the execution time of the improved system. The resulting value is the speedup factor.

2. What are the rates and execution time percentage used for in calculating speedup?

Rates refer to the number of calculations or operations per unit of time, such as calculations per second. Execution time percentage is the percentage of time it takes for a system to complete a task. These values are used to calculate the speedup factor.

3. What is the equation for calculating speedup given rates and execution time percentage?

The equation for calculating speedup is: Speedup = Execution time of original system / Execution time of improved system

4. Can speedup be greater than 1?

Yes, speedup can be greater than 1. This indicates that the improved system is faster than the original system.

5. Is speedup the only factor to consider when evaluating system performance?

No, speedup is not the only factor to consider when evaluating system performance. Other factors such as cost, efficiency, and scalability should also be taken into account.

Back