Calculating standing waves, given a fruequency? :O

So, to achieve a 440Hz frequency, the tube needs to be approximately 1.5 meters long.In summary, to design a tube closed on one end with a lowest standing wave frequency of 440Hz, the length of the tube needs to be approximately 1.5 meters. This can be determined by using the equation w = 2(pi)f = sqrt(g/L) and simplifying to L = g/(2(pi)f)^2).
SFSKabam

Homework Statement

"Design a tube closed on one end so that it's lowest frequency standing wave is 440Hz. (i.e. determine the length of the tube."

Homework Equations

Um...I was unsure.
I thought maybe...I might use w=2(pi)f...and the function 2A sin (kx) cos (wt), but I epically failed on it.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution was rather embarrassing, and it acquired me 0/10 points on my exam, thus I went online trying to get help (from Wiki and the sorts), then I found this site, thought I'd try it. :)
The attempt was as follows...
w = 2(pi)f = sqrt(g/L)

I then squared both sides to get (2(pi)f)^2 = g/L

Then simplified to L = g/(2(pi)f)^2) --Hence epic fail, for, come to find out, sqrt(g/l) is for pendulums. --

And now I'm lost. -.-

Physics news on Phys.org
Its really rather more simple than that. A tube closed at one end will have a fundamental frequency, where the wavelength is 4 times the tubes length.

I would like to first clarify that the equation w=2(pi)f is not applicable to this problem as it is the angular frequency for simple harmonic motion, not standing waves.
To calculate the standing wave frequency of a tube closed on one end, we can use the equation f=nv/4L, where n is the harmonic number, v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the tube.
Since we are given the frequency of 440Hz and we want to find the length of the tube, we can rearrange the equation to solve for L.
L = nv/4f
Plugging in the values, we get L = (1)(343 m/s)/(4*440 Hz) = 0.195 m or 19.5 cm.
Therefore, the length of the tube must be 19.5 cm for its lowest frequency standing wave to be 440Hz.
I hope this helps and I encourage you to continue practicing and seeking help when needed.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that forms when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in points along the wave where there is no displacement, called nodes, and points where there is maximum displacement, called antinodes.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of a standing wave?

The frequency of a standing wave is determined by the speed of the wave and the distance between consecutive nodes or antinodes. This can be calculated using the formula: f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is the speed of the wave, and λ is the wavelength.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a standing wave?

The frequency of a standing wave is affected by the tension and length of the medium in which the wave is traveling. Higher tension and shorter lengths will result in higher frequencies, while lower tension and longer lengths will result in lower frequencies.

4. Can you determine the wavelength of a standing wave?

Yes, the wavelength of a standing wave can be determined by measuring the distance between consecutive nodes or antinodes. This distance is equal to half of the wavelength of the standing wave.

5. How does the frequency of a standing wave affect its energy?

The frequency of a standing wave does not directly affect its energy. However, a higher frequency standing wave may have more nodes and antinodes, resulting in more points of maximum displacement and potentially higher energy. This is determined by the amplitude of the wave, which is not affected by frequency.