1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating stress and strains for beam of applied force

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I consider a force, which is applied to both ends of a rectangular beam to its cross section with dimensions w (width) and h (height) and I know the length of the beam is l and the force is parallel, how can I calculate the stress?

Also, what if the force were parallel to the [111] direction? How could I calculate the stress and strain considering the force is not parallel?

2. Relevant equations
    For the first part, I think I would just use:
    $$\sigma = F/A = \frac{F}{wh}$$

I now that A is the area perpendicular to the applied force.
    But do I need to anything specific to account for the fact that it is applied at both ends?

Also, when the force applied is in the [111] direction, I am not sure how to calculate the stress and strain.

3. The attempt at a solution
    As per the relevant equations, I show my attempt. I just use
    $$\sigma = F/A = \frac{F}{wh}$$
    for the first part. Not sure if it should be 2F since the force is applied on both ends?

I am not sure about how to calculate stress and strain when the force is parallel to the [111] direction. Any ideas? How do I calculate the area perpendicular to the applied force in [111] direction (just in variables).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you apply a force F perpendicular to the cross section (parallel to the axial length of the beam) , the reaction force at the other end must be F in the opposite direction, from equilibrium considerations. Thus, the net external force on the beam is zero. But, the internal force in the beam is non-zero, and that internal force perpendicular to the cross section is the force to use when determining the axial stress. So if you draw a free body diagram cutting through the beam, is that internal force F or 2F?
    For the second part, I don't know what you mean by the [111] direction, you mean perpendicular to the length? That's a stress of a different nature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted