Calculating Tension on a Ramp with Inclined Load and Friction

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematics Ramp
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
songoku
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
395

Homework Statement


A sack of weight 600 N is being loaded on to a truck up a ramp inclined at 18o to the horizontal. A rope attached to the sack is held at an angle of 25o to the ramp. The coefficient of friction between the sack and the ramp is 0.3. What tension in the rope is needed:
a. To prevent the sack from sliding down the ramp.
b. To pull the sack up the ramp at a steady speed



Homework Equations


F = ma


The Attempt at a Solution


The manual wrote the answer for (a) is 18.2 N. I can't find it. My work for (a) :

W sin 18o = T cos 25o

T = 204.6 N

What am I missing ?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not taken into account the frictional force while calculating T.
 
Hi rl.bhat

Oh my god...I thought there is no friction because it didn't move. That was a very stupid mistake. Thanks a lot !
 
songoku said:
I thought there is no friction because it didn't move.

Of course there is - it's called static friction.