Calculating the angle of a bus driving off a cliff

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Alexander350
Messages
36
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


2xk39fwi8bm01.png

Homework Equations


Moment of inertia
Torque
Angular momentum

The Attempt at a Solution


I think I can understand the physics of the situation. There will be a torque on the bus due to gravity while the back of it remains in contact with the cliff and it will start to rotate. I am assuming there is no friction so there is only a normal force where the bus hinges, which will always be perpendicular to the side of the bus. The problem is, how do I calculate this torque because the force is constantly changing direction and magnitude. Even when you do calculate its rotation, how can you calculate when it hits the ground because if it is tilted at a different angle, it will hit the ground at a different time.
 
Attachments
  • 2xk39fwi8bm01.png
    2xk39fwi8bm01.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,015
Physics news on Phys.org
Please make an attempt to solve the problem. Draw a diagram with the bus partway over the edge. Label the distances, forces and angles. Write the equations they imply. Go from there.
 
Alexander350 said:
the force is constantly changing direction and magnitude.
Not only that, but the horizontal component of the normal force will provide a horizontal acceleration.

Obtaining the equations is tough, but certainly doable. Solving them is another matter. I seriously suspect that the question setter has blundered and completely underestimated the difficulty of the question.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gneill and jbriggs444