1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the area between two curves

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the area between the two functions as an integral along the x-axis or the y-axis:

x=abs(y)
    x=6-y^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I sketched the graph to determine which was to the right and which was left finding out that 6-y^2 is to the right then I found out where the limits of integration would be and go the to be +sqrt6 , -sqrt6 however I'm not getting the correct answer and I'm unsure of how to integrate the absolute value function, I tried to split it up into two separate integrals but it didn't work

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2

malty

Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    Ah, I see no I was not familiar with that function, I got my limits because those are the points where the parabola meets the y axis,

5. Dec 17, 2007 #4

malty

Gold Member

But where does the curve intersect the line?

6. Dec 17, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There isn't "one function to the right and the other to the left". There is one function above the other!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?