Calculating the coefficient of friction Given 2 forces and and angle

In summary, the person is trying to solve a physics problem involving static and kinetic friction. They have attempted to use an equation to calculate the coefficient of static friction, but it did not give the correct answer. They do not understand where the angle should be incorporated into their calculation and are seeking help. They have watched a Khan Academy video for guidance, but it did not mention anything about angles. They have also tried another formula but it did not work either. The person was asked to consider all the forces acting in the vertical and horizontal directions and write a force balance equation for each, but they are confused about how to incorporate the 10-degree angle into their calculations. They have calculated the mass of the box to be 252.8 kg based
HTML
Homework Statement
A force, FA, of 8.70 kN is the maximum force that can be applied to a 2.48 kN box before it starts to move. If the force, FA, is angled at 10.0° above the horizontal
Relevant Equations
was not given the equation to do this kind of problem or so i believe the one i was given is Fc+fn=Fg
i tryed putting all the number into that equation but it does not work, i have no clue if i need to include the angle to solve this or not and if i do i have no clue how i would

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
You need to show your work before we can really help you. However since you are at that stage perhaps this video from Khan will help get you started:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...tion-ap/v/static-and-kinetic-friction-example
My work- so far i have tryed to use Fk/Fn=coefficient of static imputing my numbers as 8700/2480=3.50 and 2480/8700=0.29 but neither of these give the correct answer, i don't understand where the angle should be put into my calculation

the force pushes your block from an angle so you need to compute the horizontal component that is pushing it and the vertical that is pushing down on it.

Watch the video and see if that helps.

Likes HTML
HTML said:
My work- so far i have tried to use Fk/Fn=coefficient of static imputing my numbers as 8700/2480=3.50 and 2480/8700=0.29 but neither of these give the correct answer, i don't understand where the angle should be put into my calculation
You likely have seen an expression for static friction which is something like ##F_\text{Static} \le \mu _\text{Static} \cdot F_\text{Normal} ## .
You were given the maximum force that can be applied before movement occurs, so equality holds.

It appears that you did not give a complete statement of the problem. (I assume that the box is on a horizontal surface.)

How is the force of friction related to the applied force, FA ? (The 10° angle is important here.)

How is the normal force to be determined?

Likes jedishrfu
SammyS said:
You likely have seen an expression for static friction which is something like ##F_\text{Static} \le \mu _\text{Static} \cdot F_\text{Normal} ## .
You were given the maximum force that can be applied before movement occurs, so equality holds.

It appears that you did not give a complete statement of the problem. (I assume that the box is on a horizontal surface.)

How is the force of friction related to the applied force, FA ? (The 10° angle is important here.)

How is the normal force to be determined?
yes the box is on a horizontal slope at 10 degrees and i don't know how the normal force is determined
fn=fg but i was not given a mass in the question so i don't get how to determine it without a mass

@HTML I reiterate you need to think harder on this. We can’t do your homework for you. We can’t walk you through the solution. If you show us your work then we can say whether it’s right or not and if not why with a hint to push you in the right direction.

Did you look at the Khan Academy video yet? It should have given you the basics here.

jedishrfu said:
@HTML I reiterate you need to think harder on this. We can’t do your homework for you. We can’t walk you through the solution. If you show us your work then we can say whether it’s right or not and if not why with a hint to push you in the right direction.

Did you look at the Khan Academy video yet? It should have given you the basics here.
i did and it mentioned absolutely nothing about angles i under stand the basics i just do not under stand why and where the angle should come into play i have tried another formula- fsMax/FnCos theata but its still not working i used this formula because i believed that my fs max would be the 8.73 and the fn would be the 2.48 since it is acting in the downward direction to keep the box on the surface.

@HTML ,
If the weight of the box is 2.48 kN, then what is its mass?

HTML said:
fn=fg
No.
Consider all the forces acting that have a vertical component. Write the force balance equation for the vertical direction. Then do the same for the horizontal direction.

SammyS said:
@HTML ,
If the weight of the box is 2.48 kN, then what is its mass?
252.8 kg? i took the 2.48kN and put it into 2480 N then divided it by 9.81 and got the 252.8

haruspex said:
No.
Consider all the forces acting that have a vertical component. Write the force balance equation for the vertical direction. Then do the same for the horizontal direction.
thats where I am confused because of the angle in the x direction there is fn and fg and fa but at a 10 degree angle and in the y direction there is fs and fa at a angle so where does the 10 degrees go do i need to split the fa into its x and y components

HTML said:
do i need to split the fa into its x and y components
Yes.
HTML said:
in the x direction there is fn and fg
HTML said:
in the y direction there is fs and fa at a angle
It is more usual to use y for vertical and x for horizontal.

haruspex said:
Yes.It is more usual to use y for vertical and x for horizontal.
shouldent it just be sin theata/ cos theata= tan theta, tan theata=coeficcent of static

HTML said:
shouldent it just be sin theata/ cos theata= tan theta, tan theata=coeficcent of static
Shouldn't what be tan theta?
The coefficient of static friction turns out to be tan theta in a certain common problem, but it is not in general true.

What are the horizontal and vertical components of the applied force?

horizontal components would be Fs and vertical would be Fn and Fg? correct?

HTML said:
horizontal components would be Fs and vertical would be Fn and Fg? correct?
That's not what I asked.
What are the horizontal and vertical components of the applied force FA?

HTML said:
252.8 kg? i took the 2.48kN and put it into 2480 N then divided it by 9.81 and got the 252.8
That does give the mass (as long as the unit of measure you omitted is kg), although, you don't need to know the mass to do this problem.

One thing which would be very helpful here would be a good sketch of the problem.
DrawAngles.png

Better yet would be to use an F.B.D. (free body diagram).

What are the components of the applied force, FA ?

HTML said:
that's where I'm confused because of the angle in the x direction there is fn and fg and fa but at a 10 degree angle and in the y direction there is fs and fa at a angle so where does the 10 degrees go do i need to split the fa into its x and y components
I see that @haruspex replied to this previously, but I will add my 2 cents worth.

As I stated previously, a Free Body Diagram, commonly abbreviated as "fbd",will help you solve the problem addressed in this thread. In general, FBDs are extremely useful and often necessary to solve statics and dynamics problems in physics and engineering. Here is a link to the Wikipedia page on FBDs.

Here is an FBD for your problem.
FBD2-ForceOnBoxAtAngle.png

The vectors are not drawn to scale and the angle, θ, is not 10° .

FS is the force of static friction.
FN is the Normal force (exerted on the box by the supporting horizontal surface).
W is the weight of the box, what you referred to as fg in post # 16.
FA is the applied force. The inset in the above figure shows FA broken down into its horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components.

Some general comments:
Judging by some of your posts in this thread, you seem to be hunting around for some equation or formula which will allow you to plug in some numbers and get an answer which will satisfy your instructor and/or match some answer key. This approach is not likely to lead to much of an understanding of physics.

Use definitions, physical principles and fundamental laws to analyse the situation. Work from there to relate quantities you are given to the quantities asked for.

1. What is the formula for calculating the coefficient of friction?

The formula for calculating the coefficient of friction is μ = F/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the direction of the force of friction?

The direction of the force of friction is always opposite to the direction of the applied force. This means that if the applied force is pushing an object to the right, the force of friction will be pushing the object to the left.

3. Can the coefficient of friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be greater than 1. This indicates that the force of friction is greater than the normal force, resulting in a higher resistance to motion.

4. What units are used for the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction does not have any units, as it is a ratio of two forces. However, the units for the force of friction and normal force are typically in Newtons (N).

5. How does the angle between the two forces affect the coefficient of friction?

The angle between the two forces does not directly affect the coefficient of friction. However, it does affect the normal force, which in turn affects the coefficient of friction. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in a lower coefficient of friction.