Calculating the concentration of radon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the concentration of radon from data obtained using a silicon detector. The peaks of interest are Po218 and Po214. The concentration can be determined by integrating the equation for N(t) for each nuclide and relating it back to the number of collected atoms. The concentration can also be determined using the continuity equation. Different methods of numerical integration, such as trapezoidal, can be used to obtain the necessary values. The conversation also mentions the use of counts, decay constant, and time to determine the number of radionuclides collected.
cosuroca
Hello people, I'm needing help in calculating data or treating the data. I get measures of counts vs channel, using a silicon detector for detecting radon progeny. These peaks are Po218 and Po214, now how obtain or how understand... obtaining the concentration of radon?

http://a.imageshack.us/img837/1483/graph02.png

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It would help if one attaches smaller images or uses an external image storage system.

One must use the counts, decay constant and time to determine the number of radionuclide collected.

Bascially one has to integrate the equation for N(t) of each nuclide and relate the number of atoms back to the number of Radon atoms.

The concentration comes from the continuity equation integrated over time.

The number of Rn atoms is just the number in the volume of air sampled over time times the concentration. The concentration is related to the decay, but keep in mind, the decays related only to that amount detected. One also has to relate that to the amont that didn't decay.

Thank you Professor, I am understanding a little more, I'm not a good student but I understand things. Analyzing the case of Po-218, for example.

Now, I have: counts, decay constant and time to determine the number of radionuclide collected.

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img36/1310/dibujofofm.png[/CENTER]

And also I calculate Are = Integrate(Data, counts, channel) from 250 to 350 channel, I'm obtaining and What are type of numerical integral use?, I have use now "Trapezoidal numerical integration", for test. Is correct it? Can I use other?

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img6/739/graph03.png[/CENTER]

Later, I have Are = counts*channel in time. this value is?

grgrgr sorry profesor, I'm to little donkey in it.​

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the concentration of radon calculated?

The concentration of radon is calculated by measuring the amount of radon present in a specific volume of air, typically in units of becquerels per cubic meter (Bq/m3). This can be done using a variety of methods, such as using a continuous radon monitor or collecting air samples and analyzing them in a laboratory.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of radon concentration calculations?

The accuracy of radon concentration calculations can be affected by several factors, including the type and sensitivity of the measurement device, the duration of the measurement, and any external influences such as ventilation or weather conditions. It is important to carefully follow recommended protocols and use reliable equipment when calculating radon concentrations.

3. What is the acceptable level of radon concentration in indoor air?

The World Health Organization recommends an acceptable level of radon concentration in indoor air of 100 Bq/m3. However, some countries have set lower limits, such as the United States' limit of 148 Bq/m3. It is important to check your local regulations and take action if radon levels exceed the recommended limits.

4. How often should radon concentrations be measured?

Radon concentrations should be measured at least every 2 years, as they can fluctuate over time. However, it is recommended to measure radon levels more frequently, especially if there have been changes to the building, such as renovations or changes to the ventilation system.

5. Can radon concentrations be reduced if they are found to be too high?

Yes, there are several methods for reducing radon concentrations in indoor air. These include improving ventilation, sealing cracks and openings where radon can enter, and installing a radon mitigation system. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the most effective method for your specific situation.