Calculating the distance between the optical center and focal length

In summary, the focal length of a thin lens can be determined by forming an image of a distant light source on a screen and using the formula f = uv/v-u. This is a good approximation for real lenses in many cases.
stevepham
-Hello everyone. At school, I studied about convex lense and concave lense. They are very interesting, we learned about how lights would be after going through the lense. But what I want to ask is how we can calculate the distance between optical center and focal (I means focal length). Focal length is a constant, but is there any formula which can give us the value of focal length .

I would be grateful it someone could help :)

Science news on Phys.org
Per wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length#Thin_lens_approximation

The focal length of a thin lens can be determined by using it to form an image of a distant light source on a screen. The lens is moved until a sharp image is formed on the screen. The focal length f is then given by

69c2f3340719b7506c05b8cec36ca211.png

where u is the distance between the light source and the lens, and v is the distance between the lens and the screen.

Real lenses aren't thin lenses, but this is a good approximation to use in many cases.

1. What is the optical center?

The optical center is a point in the center of a lens or mirror where light rays pass through without being refracted or reflected. It is an important point in calculating the distance between the optical center and the focal length.

2. What is the focal length?

The focal length is the distance between the optical center of a lens or mirror and its focal point. It is an important measure in determining the magnifying power and image formation of a lens or mirror.

3. How do you calculate the distance between the optical center and focal length?

The distance between the optical center and focal length can be calculated by measuring the distance from the surface of the lens or mirror to its center and subtracting it from the focal length. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the lens or mirror equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance.

4. Why is it important to calculate the distance between the optical center and focal length?

Calculating the distance between the optical center and focal length is important for understanding the properties and capabilities of a lens or mirror. It can also help in designing and optimizing optical systems for specific purposes.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the distance between the optical center and focal length?

This calculation is crucial in the design and construction of various optical instruments, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also used in the study of optics and in fields such as astronomy, medicine, and engineering.