Calculating the Drop Distance of a Baseball Thrown by a Major League Pitcher"

  • Thread starter Thread starter metalmagik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Baseball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
metalmagik
Messages
130
Reaction score
0
A major league pitcher can throw a baseball in excess of 42.0 m/s. if a ball is thrown horizontally at this speed, how much will it drop by the time it reaches the catcher who is 15.1 m away from the point of release?

I worked this out as an x and y problem and I got 2.57 for the distance at wihch the ball dropped (d on the Y side of the problem.)

I first found time for the X side, then carried that to the Y side which had Vi = 0 and a = -9.81 m/s^2.

Did I do anything wrong? Any help would be great, thanks so much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get 2.57 meters. Are you using
[tex]y = y_0 + v_i t + \frac{a}{2} t^2[/tex] ?
 
Last edited:
Sorry I got the answer already, thank you though.