1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the electric field from the potential

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the magnitude of the electric field at the point (3.00[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] - 2.00[tex]\hat{j}[/tex] + 4.00[tex]\hat{k}[/tex])m if the electric potential is given by V = [tex]2.00xyz^2[/tex], where V is in volts and x, y, and z are in meters?

2. Relevant equations

To calculate the field from the potential, [tex]E_{s}=-\delta V/ \delta s[/tex] (ie [tex]E=-dV/ds[/tex] for each component).

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know what they mean by [tex]2.00xyz^2[/tex].
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is a function describing V. What is actually confusing you about it? Is it that it involves more than one variable?
  4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    Haha...yes. It's probably something really simple. I just don't know what to do to find each component
  5. Mar 28, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O ok. Maybe it is the concept of the partial derivative that is confusing you?

For instance when you want to find the x component of the field you need to find:

[tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/tex].

In this case, just think of y and z as constants. Similarly, think of x as constant when taking the derivatives with respect to the other variables.

Does this help?
  6. Mar 30, 2008 #5
    [tex]2.00yz^2 \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}

[tex]2.00xz^2 \frac{\partial y}{\partial y}

[tex]2.00xy \frac{\partial z^2}{\partial z}

[tex]\sqrt{64^2 + 96^2 + 48^2}

The answer in the back of the book is 150 N/C.
  7. Mar 30, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi paralian! :smile:

It should be [tex]2.00xy \frac{\partial z^2}{\partial z}

That should give you 150.09. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?