1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the electric field

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    Here's the problem:

Three charges are at the corners of an equilateral triangle as in the figure below:

.........../.....\ L

L = .06 m
    q_0 = 1.8*10^-6 C
    q_1 = 6.6*10^-6 C
    q_2 = -4.6*10^-6 C

Calculate the electric field at the position of q_0 (the origin) due to q_1 and q_2.
    Answer is a vector in terms of i and j.

My approach was to break down q_1 and q_2 into vector components. For example, to find the horizontal components, I did:

E_x = k(q/x^2)

where x is the horizontal distance from position q_0 and q is the charge. (k = 8.99*10^9)

So, plugging this in for both q_1 and q_2, I got:

q_1: E_x = -659266.67 N/C
    q_2: E_x = 114872.22 N/C

I put a - on q_1 because of the direction of the vector at q_0. Adding these together I get -544394.45 for the total horizontal component. But this isn't right. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong in my thought process? Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2
    Do you know what the answer is?

Umm... well, it's a vector, so you would need a cosine for your horizontal q_1 field at point q_0.
  4. Jan 28, 2007 #3
    It's online homework, so no I don't know what it is.

Well since it is an equilateral triangle, all sides are the same length L and all angles are 60 degrees. I know that the q_1 charge is L/2 away from q_0 horizontally because it is equilateral (and Lcos60 = L/2). That is what would be substituted for x in the equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?