1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Electric Potential from an Electric Field problem

1. Jun 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nonconducting sphere has radius R = 2.31cm and uniformly distributed charge q = +3.50 fC. Take the electric potential at the sphere's center to be Vo = 0. What is V at radial distance (a) r = 1.45cm and (b) r = R?

2. Relevant equations

V = the negative integral from i to f of E * ds

For a, E is kqr/R^3.

For b, E is kq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

When I plug all this in I get -5.37 x 10^-4 V and -.001V, respectively. However, when I look at the answer explanation in the student manual, it seems to indicate that ds (or in this case rs) = r/2. Why is it r/2? How is the book getting that for ds? At first I thought ds was equal to r, but I guess I'm not grasping something. Could someone explain why this is so? I basically have the right answer, but only if I divide both my answers by 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2007 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

what are your limits of integration and what's your formula for V after you integrate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?