Calculating the energy in a part of a rollercoaster

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lamefeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Rollercoaster
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
lamefeed
Messages
14
Reaction score
3
Hi(This thread might have been posted in the wrong section of the forum although this isn't a homework problem, just something I do because I like physics!), I've been trying to figure out how to solve this problem for a few hours, but whatever I do it seems to give me the wrong answer.

Scale?geometry=300x300.jpg


h(1)= 50m
v= 0.5 m/s

## E = E_k + E_p ##
Which gives me this formula
## E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh ##
After this I remove the mass since it's not been given in the task, and I'm left with:
## E = \frac{1}{2}v^2+ gh ##
When I fill in the numbers I get this:
## E = \frac{1}{2}0.5^2 + 9.81*50 = 490 J ##

But I'm supposed to get 49 J ?!

Can't get any help from my teacher until tomorrow so would be lovely if some of you could tell me where I took a wrong turn(If I made a mistake)!

Cheers,
Lamefeed
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lamefeed said:
After this I remove the mass since it's not been given in the task...

Something is wrong with the problem statement, because you need the mass. A grain of sand at the top of a 50 meter ramp represents a lot less potential energy than a brick at the top of the same ramp. You answer would be right if the cart had a mass of 1 kg, the book would be right if it had a mass of .1 kg, and yes, if you want more help with this problem you should start a thread in the homework section.

This thread is closed; OP will restart in the HW section if necessary.