Calculating the energy of a hydrogen atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
Benzoate
Messages
420
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A sample of hydrogen atoms are all in the n=5 state. If all the atoms return to the ground state, how many different photon energies will be emitted , assuming all possible transitions occur?

Homework Equations


possible equation: E= hc/lambda =(E(initial) -E(final)) .
1/lambda = R*(1/m^2-(1/n^2))

The Attempt at a Solution



Not sure where to begin on this problem, but I suspect I should find the energy of the hydrogen atom between the transitons of the two state. I know n=1 for the ground state.

1/lambda=1.097*10^7*(1/1^2-(1/5^2))

Not sure how to find the Number of photon energies :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't you just have 1 possible transition for every 2 states... so using combinations wouldn't the answer be 5 choose 2?