Calculating the force resulted by pressure (integral)

In summary, the given problem involves a pressure gauge with a force constant of 1250 N/m and a piston with a diameter of 1.20 cm. The question asks for the change in depth that causes the piston to move 0.750 cm. The approach involves using integration to calculate the change in force as the depth increases, which is related to pressure and the area of the piston. However, the problem does not provide enough information to calculate the area, and the student is unsure of how to proceed. The expert suggests re-examining the given data, particularly the diameter of the piston, and clarifying the relationship between pressure, area, and depth. The expert also points out that the student has misinterpreted Pascal's
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

" A spring of the pressure gauge shown below has a force constant of 1250 N/m , and the piston has a diameter of 1.20 cm. AS the gauge is lowered into the water in a lake, what change in depth causes the piston to move by 0.750 cm? "

Homework Equations

F = kx
dF = pressure dA
pressure = density * height * gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

My first concern is my approach at integration the correct method? Is there an easier way?

Well, I know that the force to be applied is : F = xk = 9.375 N and this force is due to the continually increasing pressure as the piston is dropped into the lake.

Thus I need to be evaluating for the upper limit of the integral

Since dF = pressure dA ,
F = ∫ pressure dA
= ∫ ρ * g * h dA
= ∫ ρ * g * (H-y) dA

I get stuck here, I know I need to integrate with respect to y. What is the relationship between dA and dy? Also why are we given the diameter of the piston.

I have attached a copy of my written work.

Any help is really appreciated, thank you for your time.

-Sakonpure6

http://imgur.com/LOU5cKR

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think integration is the key to solving this problem?
Does the piston in the pressure gauge change in diameter with change in depth?
Pressure increases due to what variable or variables as the gauge is lowered in the water?
Are you familiar with Pascal's Law?

My thought to using integration is that the force applied to the piston changes as the depth changes.

Pressure would change as the area changes correct?

Pascals Law is A1F2=A2F1 , but we are not given enough data to calculate area.

So how do you propose solving this?

You're still confused.
You are given the diameter of the piston. You can't calculate an area from that?
Why do you think the area of the piston in the gauge changes as the gauge goes deeper in the water?

You are also misinterpreting what Pascal's Law states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_law

1. What is the formula for calculating force from pressure?

The formula for calculating force from pressure is force = pressure x area. This means that the force exerted on an object is directly proportional to the pressure applied and the area over which the pressure is distributed.

2. How do you calculate the integral for force resulted by pressure?

To calculate the integral for force resulted by pressure, you first need to determine the pressure function, which is typically given in terms of force and area. You then integrate the pressure function with respect to area to find the total force exerted on the object.

3. What units are used for pressure and force in this calculation?

Pressure is typically measured in pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2), while force is measured in newtons (N). However, the units used may vary depending on the specific problem and the units of the given values.

4. How does the magnitude of the area affect the force resulted by pressure?

The magnitude of the area has a direct effect on the force resulted by pressure. As the area increases, the force exerted on the object also increases, assuming the pressure remains constant. This is because a larger area allows for a greater distribution of the pressure, resulting in a greater force.

5. Can this calculation be used for any type of pressure, or only certain types?

This calculation can be used for any type of pressure, as long as the pressure function is known. However, it is important to note that the pressure must be consistent throughout the entire surface area to accurately calculate the force resulted by pressure.