Calculating the force to bend steel

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of hanging a TV on a horizontal bar by calculating the weight that the vertical pole can support without bending. The individual is seeking help with a statics problem and mentions the weight and dimensions of the TV, horizontal bar, and vertical pole. They also mention the importance of properly sizing the members to avoid bending and offer a potential solution using triangulation.
InterestedGuy
Picture a game of hangman. You have a vertical pole, a horizontal bar extending out from the pole and then the poor guy being slowing hanged hanging at the end of the horizontal bar. I'm trying to calculate much weight the pole can support before it bends.

Well, actually I'm trying to hang a TV on the horizontal bar, and I need to know how to size the a piece of steel for the "vertical pole" to support the TV so it won't bend.

It should be a fairly simple statics problem. But it's been 20 years since my statics class.

TV is 22 lbs and the horzontal bar is 2 ft long. The vertical pole is 18" high. I believe that gives me a force of 66lbs that is being extered on the "vertical pole" were it is ancored at the bottom.

Is that correct? How do I think figure out the size steel that will resist bending given this force?

Any help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There will always be some bending (deflection) of the vertical and horizontal members, which will be quite small if the members are sized properly to take allowable bending stresses and slight deflections. For the vertical member, it is subject to an axial compressive load of 22 pounds, and a bending moment at its top of (22)(24) = 528 in-lb.
Neglecting the axial load and using 36 ksi steel, max stress is Mc/I and max deflection is ML^2/2EI. I'm not sure what shape member you have in mind, but if it is say a 1'' diameter steel rod, c= 1/2", I = .05 in^4, E =30x10^6 psi, and M = 528-in-lb, solving, max stress = 5000 psi which gives a safety factor of about 7, no problem, and the deflection at the top is about 1/16''. Assuming your base is fully fixed without any rotation. You can try different sizes and shapes...if you tried a 1/2" rod, then the max stress is way too high.

Triangulation.

What is the formula for calculating the force required to bend steel?

The formula for calculating the force required to bend steel is F = (M x L) / (3 x E x I), where F is the force in pounds, M is the moment in inch-pounds, L is the length of the steel beam in inches, E is the modulus of elasticity in pounds per square inch, and I is the moment of inertia in inches to the fourth power.

What factors affect the force required to bend steel?

The force required to bend steel is affected by the material properties of the steel, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength, as well as the dimensions and geometry of the steel beam. The type of bending process used, such as cold or hot bending, can also affect the required force.

How do I determine the moment of inertia for a steel beam?

The moment of inertia for a steel beam can be calculated using standard formulas for different cross-sectional shapes, such as rectangular, circular, or I-beam. Alternatively, it can be determined experimentally by measuring the deflection of the beam under a known load.

Is there a maximum force that can be applied to bend steel?

Yes, there is a maximum force that can be applied to bend steel before it reaches its yield strength and permanently deforms. This maximum force is known as the yield strength and varies depending on the type and grade of the steel.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the force required for any type of steel?

No, the formula for calculating the force to bend steel may vary depending on the type and grade of steel being used. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific steel being bent to ensure accurate results.