1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Inertia Tensor of a Homogeneous Sphere

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the moments of Inertia I[itex]_{1}[/itex], I[itex]_{2}[/itex], I[itex]_{3}[/itex] for a homogenous sphere
    2. Relevant equations

I[itex]_{jk}[/itex]=[itex]\int[/itex]x[itex]^{2}_{l}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex][itex]_{ik}[/itex]-x[itex]_{i}[/itex]x[itex]_{k}[/itex]dV

3. The attempt at a solution

For I[itex]_{x}[/itex] i set up the equation using the above equation in cartesian coordinates and then i switched into polar coordinates and i get the following integral
    [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex](r[itex]^{2}[/itex]-rsin([itex]\vartheta[/itex])cos([itex]\phi[/itex]))r[itex]^{2}[/itex]sin([itex]\vartheta[/itex])d[itex]\phi[/itex]d[itex]\vartheta[/itex]dr
    with 0[itex]\leq[/itex]r[itex]\leq[/itex]R, 0[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex]2[itex]\pi[/itex], and 0[itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\vartheta[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]pi[/itex]

when i solve this integral i get I=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\frac{4}{5}[/itex][itex]\pi[/itex]R[itex]^{2}[/itex] and then setting [itex]\rho[/itex]= [itex]\frac{M}{4/3\piR^{3}
    }[/itex]
    so after simplifying i end up with I=[itex]\frac{3}{5}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex]
    But the answer i believe is [itex]\frac{2}{5}[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex] , so i dont really know where is went wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2
    How did you end up with that integral? What are i an k in your expression? Remember that the principal moments of inertia are the diagonal terms in Iij. Start by making the easiest choice for i=j and then think if you have to calculate more.

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
    as i started to type i response i realized my integrand was essentially r[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x. when i should have been r[itex]^{2}[/itex]-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]. So what i should have is r[itex]^{4}[/itex]-r[itex]^{4}[/itex]sin([itex]\vartheta[/itex])[itex]^{3}[/itex]cos[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

If i integrate this then i get 2/5[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]R[itex]^{5}[/itex]. which looks better.

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4
    although if i then multiply this by rho i get 3/10[itex]\pi[/itex]MR[itex]^{2}[/itex]...

6. Sep 17, 2012 #5
    That's not right either, one sin(θ) should be in the integration measure. Perhaps it would be easier to calculate only the zz-component of I. Why is this enough?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook