Calculating the Length of a Curve with Calculus

  • Thread starter Thread starter MozAngeles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Curves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MozAngeles
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


i'm studying for an exam. and I'm pretty sure i know how do do these types of problems. this is aneven problem in the book so i wanted to know if my answer is right.

Find the length of the curve for [tex]r=\sqrt{1+\cos2\theta} , \pi/2\leq\theta\leq\pi/2[/tex]

Homework Equations



integral of [tex]\sqrt{(r^2+(dr/d\theta)^2}[\tex]<br /> <br /> <h2>The Attempt at a Solution</h2><br /> i simplified my r to be [tex]\sqrt{2}*\cos\theta[/tex]<br /> after simplification and plugging into the formula. i got my answer to be [tex]\sqrt{2}*\pi[/tex][/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same result. I'm known for making tons of algebra mistakes, so trust my algebra at your own risk. :-p