Calculating the load current and load voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem where the user is asked to find an expression for ##I_L## and determine power transfer efficiency for a given ##V_L##. The conversation also includes a question about calculating values for ##I_L##, ##V_L##, and ##P_L##, and a suggestion to use the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem.
ainster31

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached.

For #2, how do I get VL and IL?

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 596
  • attempt.jpg
    attempt.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
For #2 you are to assume that ##V_L## is a given, along with ##V_{th}## and ##R_{th}##.

gneill said:
For #2 you are to assume that ##V_L## is a given, along with ##V_{th}## and ##R_{th}##.

By a given, you mean I just leave them as variables instead of giving them values, right?

ainster31 said:
By a given, you mean I just leave them as variables instead of giving them values, right?

Well, the Thevenin voltage and resistance should have numerical values that you calculated previously, but the ##V_L## is a new independent variable. You want to find an expression for ##I_L(V_L)##.

Would the below be correct?

I used mesh analysis.

$${ I }_{ L }=\frac { { V }_{ th }-{ V }_{ L } }{ { R }_{ th } }$$

Exactly like that :smile:

Likes 1 person
For #4, I calculated IL, VL, and PL for RL=2200 ohms but I'm not sure how to get power transfer efficiency.

$$I_{ L }=1.745\cdot 10^{ -3 }A\\ V_{ L }=3.838V\\ P_{ L }=6.70\cdot 10^{ -3 }W$$

ainster31 said:
For #4, I calculated IL, VL, and PL for RL=2200 ohms but I'm not sure how to get power transfer efficiency.

$$I_{ L }=1.745\cdot 10^{ -3 }A\\ V_{ L }=3.838V\\ P_{ L }=6.70\cdot 10^{ -3 }W$$

Your power value looks a bit off, probably rounding/truncation error sneaking into your significant figures. Try keeping a few more decimal places in intermediate steps.

I'm not sure how they want you to define power transfer efficiency for this problem. Does your text give any examples?

Usually this sort of exercise would be leading up to a discussion of the Maximum Power Transfer Theorem. See if your text describes it; it may show you their definition of power transfer efficiency.

1. How do you calculate load current and load voltage?

To calculate load current, divide the load power by the supply voltage. To calculate load voltage, multiply the load current by the load resistance.

2. Why is it important to calculate load current and load voltage?

Calculating load current and load voltage allows us to understand the electrical characteristics of a circuit, determine the power consumption of a load, and ensure that the circuit can handle the load without causing damage.

3. What are the units for load current and load voltage?

The unit for load current is amperes (A), and the unit for load voltage is volts (V).

4. How do you determine the load resistance?

Load resistance can be determined by dividing the load voltage by the load current.

5. Can load current and load voltage change over time?

Yes, load current and load voltage can change over time depending on the type of load and the circuit's characteristics. Factors such as temperature, aging components, and varying power sources can all affect load current and load voltage.