Calculating the mass of water from Temperature and Heat Added

In summary, calculating the mass of water from temperature and heat added involves using the specific heat capacity of water, which is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius. Once the specific heat capacity is known, the mass of water can be calculated by dividing the heat added by the product of the specific heat capacity and the change in temperature. This calculation is important in various industries, such as food and beverage production and environmental science, where precise measurements of water mass are necessary.
etv24

Homework Statement

Find the mass of water in this container when given a data plot of temperature (C) and Heat Added (kJ)

I have NO idea where to even start with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
etv24 said:
That seems to work, I don't know how that escaped me but I got it now! Thanks!
The Hyperphysics site has some well-written articles and some nice interactive tools.

1. How do you calculate the mass of water from temperature and heat added?

The mass of water can be calculated using the formula: mass = heat added / specific heat capacity x temperature change. The specific heat capacity of water is approximately 4.186 joules/gram °C.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is approximately 4.186 joules/gram °C.

3. Can the mass of water be calculated using only the temperature and heat added?

Yes, the mass of water can be calculated using the formula: mass = heat added / specific heat capacity x temperature change. However, this formula assumes that the specific heat capacity of water remains constant.

4. Does the mass of water change with temperature?

Yes, the mass of water can change with temperature due to thermal expansion. As water is heated, it expands and its density decreases, resulting in a change in mass.

5. What units are used for calculating the mass of water?

The units used for calculating the mass of water are typically grams (g) or kilograms (kg) for mass, joules (J) for heat added, and degrees Celsius (°C) for temperature change. However, other units can also be used as long as they are consistent.