Calculating the Metric on Quotient Space of E

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the metric on a quotient space of a normed vector space. The quotient space is defined as a closed subspace in the original space, and in order for the quotient-norm to define a norm and not a semi-norm, the subspace must also be closed. This is necessary only for the infinite dimensional case. In the case of a vector bundle with a metric, the metric on the product will be the metric on each individual bundle.
math6
Hello friends,
I would ask if anyone knows the métrqiue on the quotient space? ie, if one has a metric on a vector space, how can we calculate the metric on the quotient space of E?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what do you mean with quotient space?? Do you mean the quotient space as defined in topology?? In that case, the quotient of a metric space is not in general metrizable.

If you're working with a normed vector space V and a closed subset W, then V/W (as vector space quotient) does carry a norm which is given by
[tex]\|x+W\|=inf \{\|x+w\|~\vert~w\in W\}[/tex]

Last edited:
yes I speak of a normed vector space, but how you got this metric? you can give me the link or document where I can find the information?
and thank you very much.

The elements of the quotient space V/W are each hyperplanes which lie parallel to and have equal dimension to W. Since W is the only one passing through the origin, it is the zero of the space.

For instance, ℝ2/Y, where Y is the y-axis, is essentially the x-axis. This is because each line parallel to the Y axis (each hyperplane parallel to the space we are dividing by) is totally determined its value measured along the x-axis.

The formula that micromass gave computes the shortest distance from any point in the plane to any point in the "zero plane." This is the simplest, most canonical way to extend a norm on the original space to a norm on the quotient space.

micromass said:
If you're working with a normed vector space V and a closed subset W, then V/W (as vector space quotient) does carry a norm which is given by
[tex]\|x+W\|=inf \{\|x+w\|~\vert~w\in W\}[/tex]

By "closed subset W" you mean linear subspace?

I mean a linear subspace that is closed (for the norm), that is: if a sequence in W converges then its limit point is contained in W. We need the subspace to be closed in order for the quotient-norm to define a norm and not a semi-norm.

And yes, I made a mistake in my post, I needed W to be both closed and a subspace. Just being closed is obviously not enough.

micromass said:
I mean a linear subspace that is closed (for the norm), that is: if a sequence in W converges then its limit point is contained in W. We need the subspace to be closed in order for the quotient-norm to define a norm and not a semi-norm.

And yes, I made a mistake in my post, I needed W to be both closed and a subspace. Just being closed is obviously not enough.

I see. I guess this is necessary only for infinite dimensional case, correct?

Alesak said:
I see. I guess this is necessary only for infinite dimensional case, correct?

Yes. Finite dimensional subspaces are automatically complete (and thus closed).

Thank you for your answers.

I have another question now, if we have a vector bundle with a metric E1 G1 and E2 a vector bundle with a metric g2, it will be the metric on the product?

"I have another question now, if we have a vector bundle E1 with a metric g1 and E2 a vector bundle with a metric g2, what will be the metric on the product?

Related to Calculating the Metric on Quotient Space of E

What is the metric on quotient space of E?

The metric on quotient space of E is a way to measure the distance between points in a set of equivalence classes. It is based on the metric of the original space E, but takes into account the equivalence relation that defines the quotient space.

How is the metric on quotient space of E calculated?

The metric on quotient space of E is calculated by finding the shortest distance between two points in the equivalence classes. This is done by taking the minimum distance between any two points in the equivalence classes and then using this distance as the metric for the quotient space.

Can the metric on quotient space of E be different from the metric on E?

Yes, the metric on quotient space of E can be different from the metric on the original space E. This is because the equivalence relation used to define the quotient space can change the distances between points in the equivalence classes, resulting in a different metric.

How is the metric on quotient space of E useful in mathematics?

The metric on quotient space of E is useful in mathematics for studying spaces that are too complex to be analyzed directly. It allows for a simpler representation of the original space, making it easier to analyze and understand certain properties of the space.

Are there any limitations to using the metric on quotient space of E?

One limitation of the metric on quotient space of E is that it can only be used for spaces that have a well-defined equivalence relation. Additionally, it may not always accurately reflect the geometric properties of the original space, as it is based on a simplified representation of the space.