Calculating the speed of sound in air

In summary, the first two resonance lengths observed in a resonance tube using a tuning fork of frequency 325 Hz are 25.4cm and 77.4cm. By using the equation v=f*lambda, where v is the speed of sound and lambda is the wavelength, we can calculate the speed of sound to be approximately 338m/s.
leena19

Homework Statement

In a resonance tube, using a tuning fork of frequency 325 Hz,the first two resonance lengths are observed at 25.4cm and 77.4cm.The speed of sound in air is
1. 318m/s 2. 338m/s 3.358m/s 4.378m/s 5. 368m/s

Homework Equations

v=f*lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the question states 25.4cm and 77.4cm as the 1st two resonance lengths,25.4cm has to be the length of the tube at the fundamental frequency and 77.4cm at the 1st overtone.
And since 77.4cm is approximately 3 times the fundamental length of 25.4cm,I'm assuming it's a closed pipe.

Therefore, lambda/4 = 0.254m
lambda=1.016m
Then using v=f * lambda
=325*1.016
I get v =330.2m/s which is not among the choices given, so I'm really hoping someone could help me out here.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the question again;

"the first two resonance lengths are observed at 25.4cm & 77.4cm" means the distance between the first two anti-nodes = 52cm, so effectively the "length" in the equation is 52

frequency = [tex]\frac{Speed}{2 * Length}[/tex]
325 = [tex]\frac{Speed}{2 * 0.52}[/tex]

Thanks. I get it now. I get a velocity of 338m/s

What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound in air?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound in air is: speed of sound (m/s) = 331.5 + 0.6 x temperature (in degrees Celsius).

How does temperature affect the speed of sound in air?

The speed of sound in air increases as the temperature increases. This is because sound travels faster in warmer air, as the molecules in the air have more energy and can vibrate more quickly.

What factors can affect the speed of sound in air?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect the speed of sound in air include humidity, air pressure, and altitude. Higher humidity and air pressure can slightly decrease the speed of sound, while higher altitudes can decrease it significantly.

What is the approximate speed of sound in air at room temperature?

At room temperature (around 20 degrees Celsius), the speed of sound in air is approximately 343 meters per second. This is equivalent to about 767 miles per hour.

How is the speed of sound in air measured and why is it important?

The speed of sound in air can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a sound level meter or an anemometer. This measurement is important in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and aviation as it helps in understanding the behavior of sound and its impact on the environment. It also plays a crucial role in safety measures, such as determining the maximum safe speed of an aircraft.