Calculating the torque required to rotate a ski on snow

In summary, the speaker is working on a project for an engineering competition called the Great Northern Concrete Toboggan Race and is seeking help with calculating the torque needed to rotate the front skis of the toboggan. They have determined the normal force and frictional force, but are unsure about how to factor in the surface area and if the moment of inertia is relevant. The competition involves a steel roll cage with a concrete running surface and four skis, two of which are fixed and two that can pivot. The pivot axis is centered on the 24-inch skis.
Blurp
Hello friends,

I'm currently working on an engineering competition project known as the Great Northern Concrete Toboggan Race, and I'm stuck on some preliminary calculations. I'm trying to calculate the amount of torque that will be required to rotate the front skis in order to turn the toboggan. I have determined a normal force on each ski, and therefore a frictional force, but I believe I am missing information required to calculate the true torque needed to overcome friction. Common sense tells me a larger ski will require more torque to overcome friction, so how do I factor in surface area? Is moment of inertia also relevant?

Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by Concrete Toboggan Race ?

Nidum said:
What do you mean by Concrete Toboggan Race ?

It's a competition for engineering students. It's essentially a steel roll cage with a concrete running surface. In my case, there's two fixed skis in the back and two skis in the front that will be able to pivot. I'm trying to figure out how much force it will take to achieve that pivoting

Where's the "pivot center" located? Leading? Trailing?

The pivot axis is centered on each ski, which are 24 inches in length

What is torque and how does it relate to skiing?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In skiing, torque is used to describe the force applied to a ski in order to rotate it on the snow.

How is torque calculated for skiing?

To calculate the torque required to rotate a ski on snow, you need to know the force applied to the ski and the distance from the pivot point (the binding) to the point where the force is applied. The torque is then calculated by multiplying the force by the distance.

What factors affect the torque required to rotate a ski on snow?

The main factors that affect the torque required for skiing are the weight of the skier, the length and width of the ski, the type of snow, and the speed and angle of the ski on the snow.

Is there a specific formula for calculating torque in skiing?

Yes, the formula for calculating torque in skiing is T = F x d, where T is the torque, F is the force applied to the ski, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

How can I adjust my skiing technique to reduce the torque required?

There are a few techniques that can help reduce the torque required for skiing, such as keeping your weight centered over the ski, using your edges to control your speed and direction, and using your poles to help with turns. Additionally, using skis with a shorter length and wider width can also reduce the required torque for rotation.