Calculating the Volume of Revolution for e^x + 1 on x-axis

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Revolution Volumes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
9,621
Reaction score
9
If the finite region bounded by the curve [itex]y = \text{e}^{x} +1[/itex], the y-axis and the line [itex]x = \ln2[/itex] is rotatated around the x-axis by [itex]360^{\circ}[/itex] show that the volume of the solid formed is:
[tex]\frac{\pi}{2} (7 + \ln4 )[/tex]
I did the intergral and got:
[tex]V = \pi \left[ (\text{e}^{4} + 2\text{e}^{2} +1) - (1 + 2 + 1) \right][/tex]
But I can't see how I can manipulate it to get the required answer. :confused: Any help would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You won't be able to rewrite it like that since they aren't the same.
Perhaps you could show how you got that?
 
[tex]V = \int_{0}^{\ln2} \pi\left[ f(x) \right]^2 \;\; dx[/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \int_{0}^{\ln2} \left[ e^{x} +1 \right]^2 \;\; dx = \pi \int_{0}^{\ln2} e^{2x} + 2e^{x} +1 \;\; dx[/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \left[ (e^{4} + 2e^{2} +1) - (1 + 2 + 1) \right][/tex]
 
[tex]V = \pi \int_{0}^{\ln2} e^{2x} + 2e^{x} +1 dx[/tex]

This is still correct, the next step isn't. Show the primitive function first, then substitute the boundaries.
 
I dear, I see that I've forgot to intergrate. That was a bit stupid wasn't it?
 
Hootenanny said:
I dear, I see that I've forgot to intergrate. That was a bit stupid wasn't it?
I think that happens at least once to everyone :smile:
 
Have I intergrated correctly? I get:
[tex]V = \pi \left[ \frac{1}{2} e^{2x} + 2e^{x} + x \right]^{\ln2}_{0}[/tex]
 
Looks good, see if you can come to the given answer.
 
The subsituting the values ln2 and 0 in gives:
[tex]V = \pi \left[ \left( \frac{1}{2}\cdot4 + 4 + \ln2 \right) - \left( \frac{1}{2} + 2 \right) \right][/tex]
Simplifying:
[tex]\pi \left[ \frac{7}{2} + \ln2 \right][/tex]
I can't see where I go now. I know I'm close.
 
You are close indeed :smile:

Factor out 1/2 so you get the [itex]\pi/2[/itex] which is there in the given answer, then think of a property of logarithms...
 
O yes, I forgot [itex]2\cdot \ln2 = ln4[/itex]. My brains obviously not in gear today. Thanks very much.