Calculating Torque and Lever Arm

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining torque using the formula torque = force x lever arm. The force was assumed to be constant, so the size of the lever arm was the main factor in determining torque. The method of drawing a line from the force to the axis and measuring the perpendicular distance was confirmed to be correct. However, there was uncertainty about the calculations for B and C, and the speaker was asked to share their results.
frownifdown
Here is the problem http://imgur.com/6KRKJQu
Torque = force x lever arm
We are told that the force is all the same so the only thing that would determine the torque is the size of the lever arm. The ones that I'm not sure about are B and C. The rest I think I have done correctly. Just to make sure I'm doing it right though, I drew the line of the force straight down from D and drew a line from axis to this perpendicular and it measured to be 6. That's the correct method, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi frownifdown! :smile:
frownifdown said:
Just to make sure I'm doing it right though, I drew the line of the force straight down from D and drew a line from axis to this perpendicular and it measured to be 6. That's the correct method, correct?

correct :wink:
The ones that I'm not sure about are B and C.

(do you mean B and F ?)

show us what you got for those :smile:

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the product of a force and the distance from the point where the force is applied to the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate torque?

The formula for torque is torque = force x lever arm. The force should be measured in newtons and the lever arm in meters. The direction of the torque depends on the direction of the force and the direction of rotation.

What is a lever arm?

A lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the point where a force is applied to the axis of rotation. It is also known as the moment arm or the moment arm of force.

How does the length of the lever arm affect torque?

The longer the lever arm, the greater the torque for a given force. This is because a longer lever arm increases the distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a greater moment arm and therefore a greater torque.

How can torque be increased?

To increase torque, either the force applied or the lever arm can be increased. By applying a greater force or using a longer lever arm, the torque can be increased. The direction of the force can also be changed to increase torque in a specific direction.