Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating transition rate between nljm resolved states

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    I know how to calculate transition rates between nl resolved states in a hydrogen-like atom, but I don't know how to calculate transition rates between nljm states.

I know that dipole transition rate is
    [itex]\frac{32}{3}\frac{\pi^3 \alpha c}{\lambda^3}\left<\psi_1|\mathbf{d}|\psi_2\right>[/itex]
    The matrix elements on the right can be separated into a radial integral and an angular part. The radial part is
    [itex]\int R_{nl} R_{n'l'} r^3\,\mathrm{d}r[/itex]
    If we pretend that spin doesn't exit, the angular part goes something like
    [itex]\iint {Y_l^m}^{*} Y_1^{0,\pm 1} Y_{l'}^{m'} \sin(\theta) \,d\theta\,d\phi[/itex]
    I can solve this using Clebsch Gordan coefficients, and it seems to give the right answer. But, I have no idea what to do when I add in spin angular momentum. It seems this integral doesn't make sense if I replace l with with 1/2 integer j.

I tried some various things, and I ended up with something that gave the right answer in some cases but not in others. I'm always off by some multiple of some rational. I know it has to do with degeneracy and angular momentum addition, but I can't figure it out. Any resources?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted