Calculating uncertainty in a experiment

In summary, the equation for finding uncertainty in magnetic field strength is B_{coil}=\frac{\mu_0 N i}{2 R \tan \theta}. To find the error, use the formula \Delta y^2 = \sqrt{\sum_{j=1}^{n} \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_j} \Delta x_j \right)^2}. Since the radius R and number of turns N are exact, the error should be scaled by \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R}.
bobred

Homework Statement

Finding uncertainty in magnetic field strength. [itex]N=2[/itex], [itex]i=1.00\pm0.005[/itex] A, [itex]R=0.1[/itex] m, [itex]\tan \theta=0.49\pm0.008[/itex]

Homework Equations

The equation

[itex]B_{coil}=\frac{\mu_0 N i}{2 R \tan \theta}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the radius R and number of turns N are exact.
I know how to find the error when the equation is X=a/b
Should I find this error and scale it by
[itex]\frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For multivariable formula [itex]y = f(x_1, x_2, \dots, x_n)[/itex]: [itex]\Delta y^2 = \sqrt{\sum_{j=1}^{n} \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_j} \Delta x_j \right)^2}[/itex]

It looks tedious, but try to work out and simplify the algebra before you plug in number.

bobred said:

Homework Statement

Finding uncertainty in magnetic field strength. [itex]N=2[/itex], [itex]i=1.00\pm0.005[/itex] A, [itex]R=0.1[/itex] m, [itex]\tan \theta=0.49\pm0.008[/itex]

Homework Equations

The equation

[itex]B_{coil}=\frac{\mu_0 N i}{2 R \tan \theta}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the radius R and number of turns N are exact.
I know how to find the error when the equation is X=a/b
Should I find this error and scale it by
[itex]\frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R}[/itex]?

Your proposal sounds fine to me.

Hi

Sorted it out, my problem, I mis-read the formula

[itex]\frac{\delta X}{X}=\sqrt{(\frac{\delta A}{A})^2+(\frac{\delta B}{B})^2}[/itex]

For [itex]\delta X[/itex] I needed to have

[itex]\delta X=\sqrt{(\frac{\delta A}{A})^2+(\frac{\delta B}{B})^2} X[/itex]

Silly mistake
Thanks

Yes, you are on the right track. In order to calculate the uncertainty in the magnetic field strength, you will need to use the error propagation formula:

\sigma_B = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial B}{\partial i}\sigma_i\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial B}{\partial \theta}\sigma_\theta\right)^2}

where \sigma_B is the uncertainty in B, \sigma_i is the uncertainty in i, and \sigma_\theta is the uncertainty in \theta.

In this case, the partial derivatives are:

\frac{\partial B}{\partial i} = \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}

\frac{\partial B}{\partial \theta} = -\frac{\mu_0 N i}{2 R \tan^2 \theta}

Plugging these values into the error propagation formula, we get:

\sigma_B = \sqrt{\left(\frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}\sigma_i\right)^2 + \left(-\frac{\mu_0 N i}{2 R \tan^2 \theta}\sigma_\theta\right)^2}

= \sqrt{\left(\frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}\right)^2\sigma_i^2 + \left(\frac{\mu_0 N i}{2 R \tan^2 \theta}\right)^2\sigma_\theta^2}

= \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}\sqrt{\sigma_i^2 + \left(\frac{i}{\tan \theta}\sigma_\theta\right)^2}

= \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}\sqrt{\sigma_i^2 + \left(\frac{i\sigma_\theta}{\cos \theta}\right)^2}

= \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}\sqrt{\sigma_i^2 + \left(\frac{i\sigma_\theta}{\sqrt{1-\tan^2 \theta}}\right)^2}

= \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \tan \theta}\sqrt{\sigma_i^2 + \left(\frac{i\sigma_\theta}{\sqrt{1-\tan^2 \theta}}\right)^2}

= \frac{\mu_0 N}{2 R \

1. What is uncertainty in a scientific experiment?

Uncertainty in a scientific experiment refers to the amount of doubt or error associated with a measurement or result. It is the range of values within which the true value of the measurement is likely to lie.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in an experiment?

Uncertainty is calculated by taking into account the precision and accuracy of the measurement instrument, as well as any potential sources of error in the experimental procedure. This is usually done by using statistical methods to determine the range of values in which the true value is likely to fall.

3. Why is it important to calculate uncertainty in an experiment?

Calculating uncertainty allows scientists to understand the reliability and validity of their results. It also helps to assess the significance of any differences or relationships between variables in the experiment.

4. What are the units of uncertainty?

The units of uncertainty are the same as the units of the measurement being taken. For example, if the measurement is in meters, the uncertainty will also be in meters.

5. How can uncertainty be reduced in an experiment?

Uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measurement instruments, taking multiple measurements, and controlling for potential sources of error in the experimental procedure. Additionally, conducting repeat experiments and calculating the average can also help to reduce uncertainty.