1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Variance of Eq. with random variables

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am attempting to calculate a heat transfer across a medium with known material properties. I have the equation and all but one variable I have an exact answer for. I require the variance of my answer.

2. Relevant equations

2viq9gw.png

I know ALL variables (ie numerical value) except the the last h. So far, using some engineering parameters for the problem, I have estimated the value by taking 10% perturbations of the normal value of h (that is, the value is usually ~3.0 for this problem, and I have used logic to say that with the additional medium, the value will only affect AT GREATEST +/- 10%).

I am unsure on how to actually calculate the value now. I have ran the equation in MATLAB using random number generator from 2.7-3.3 (10% perturbations) with 1E9 histories. Can I use this value to get the variance? (The output is not normal/gaussian).

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming everything except ##h## is constant, the variance is simply
    $$\text{var}\Delta T = \left(\frac{q'}{2\pi R_{00}}\right)^2 \text{var}\left(\frac{1}{h}\right)$$
    This follows from the following basic property of variance: if ##x## is a random variable and ##a## and ##b## are constants, then ##\text{var}(a(x+b)) = a^2 \text{var}(x)##. In other words, the constant offset ##b## does not affect the variance, and the multiplicative scale factor ##a## multiplies the variance by ##a^2##.

There is no general property relating ##\text{var}(1/h)## to ##\text{var}(h)##. How they relate depends on how ##h## is distributed. You can start with the definition of variance:

$$\text{var}\left(\frac{1}{h}\right) = E\left[\left(\frac{1}{h}\right)^2\right] - \left(E\left[\frac{1}{h}\right]\right)^2$$

where the expected values are calculated in the usual way using the integral definition. It looks like you are assuming that ##h## is uniformly distributed in the interval ##[2.7, 3.3]##, so you should be able to get a closed form answer without resorting to numerical approximation.

4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    Creating a PDF for such variable

Thank you jbunniii for the quick response!

If I didn't know the value of h, how could I make a PDF for such variable? Wouldn't that require an equation of h to find such parameters? Or, if I do use those contraints from |2.7 , 3.3|, how would I go about making a PFD?

My advisor said I should first make a triangular distribution of the variable. To use a triangular distribution, I must know the aand b (where the value is zero) as well as the peak value, c.

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's no general answer to this - it depends on your specific problem. Where are the values of ##h## coming from? Do you have some measurement data? If so, you can try fitting a distribution to the data. [Sorry, I'm not an expert regarding how to do that, but I know there are statistical methods for doing this.]

Or maybe you just know that the value cannot be smaller than ##2.7## or larger than ##3.3##, so the distribution must be constrained to that interval. If you know nothing else, a uniform distribution in that interval may be reasonable. If you think the average ##3.0##is more likely than ##2.7## or ##3.3##, then a triangle or some other "peaked" distribution may be reasonable.

If you only know a mean and a variance for ##h## then a normal/gaussian assumption may be reasonable. It all depends on what you know about ##h##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted