Calculating velocity of a bullet with quadratic air drag

In summary, the first part of the problem asked if the speed varied with height according to the equations: v2 = Ae-2kx - (g/k) (upward motion) v2 = (g/k) - Be2kx (downward motion). The second part asked if the speed was equal to the expression: ((v0vt) / ((v02 + vt2)^(1/2))) in which v0 is the initial upward speed and vt = (mg/c2)^(1/2) = terminal speed = (g/k)^(1/2). The first part of the problem was easy to solve, and the second part was also
Matt Q
So this problem was a 2 part question. The first part goes as such.
1. A gun is fired straight up. Assuming that the air drag on the bullet varies quadratically with speed, show that the speed varies with height according to the equations:

v2 = Ae-2kx - (g/k) (upward motion)

v2 = (g/k) - Be2kx (downward motion)

in which A and B are constants of integration, g is the acceleration of gravity, and k = (c2 /m) where c2 is the drag constant and m is the mass of the bullet.

Now this problem I did not have any particular problem solving after some guidance from my professor. For this one I just took the integral of F(v) = -mg - cv2 and F(v) = mg - cv2 for the upward and downward motions respectively. It is the following question that I am hungup on.

2. Use the above result to show that, when the bullet hits the ground on its return, the speed is equal to the expression:

((v0vt) / ((v02 + vt2)^(1/2))

in which v0 is the initial upward speed and vt = (mg/c2)^(1/2) = terminal speed = (g/k)^(1/2).

I am primarily having the problem of setting up this problem. Since it wants us to take into consideration the upward and downward motion of the bullet, I would assume you would want to add the velocities of the first problem, but I could be entirely wrong about that. Also considered starting out with taking the sum of the forces of the first problem:

F(v) = -mg -cv2 and F(v) = mg-cv2 but I don't think that would work out if I integrated it then. Any help on setting up this problem would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Matt Q. Welcome to PF!

Can you use your "upward" equation to relate the constant A to the initial and terminal speeds?

Can you use the same equation to relate the maximum height to the initial and terminal speeds?

Hello Matt, welcome to PF :smile:

Nice exercise. I haven't cracked it yet, but if I were you I'd do what it says: use the above result and see how far you can get.
You have v02 = A - g/k, vt2 = g/k and you want vf2=g/k - B.
If you can connect A and B you should have cracked it. Any idea where to make this link ?

[edit]T was 60sec faster, but seems to agree. I leave you two to finish this up -- and go to bed.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a bullet with quadratic air drag?

The velocity of a bullet with quadratic air drag is calculated using the following equation:
v(t) = (m*g/c) * (1 - e^(-c*t/m))
where v is the velocity, m is the mass of the bullet, g is the acceleration due to gravity, c is the drag coefficient, and t is the time.

2. What is the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is a measure of the resistance of an object to motion through a fluid. It is a dimensionless quantity and depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as the properties of the fluid it is moving through.

3. How does air drag affect the velocity of a bullet?

Air drag acts as a force that opposes the motion of the bullet. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences air resistance, which increases as the velocity of the bullet increases. This results in a decrease in the velocity of the bullet over time.

4. Can the velocity of a bullet be calculated accurately using this equation?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a bullet with quadratic air drag is an approximation and may not accurately reflect the true velocity of the bullet. Factors such as wind, variations in the shape of the bullet, and other environmental conditions can also affect the velocity of the bullet.

5. How can this equation be used in practical applications?

This equation can be used to estimate the velocity of a bullet in real-life scenarios, such as in ballistics or forensic investigations. It can also be used to study the effects of air resistance on different types of bullets and to make improvements in bullet design for better accuracy and range.