1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating velocity of a bullet with quadratic air drag

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    So this problem was a 2 part question. The first part goes as such.
    1. A gun is fired straight up. Assuming that the air drag on the bullet varies quadratically with speed, show that the speed varies with height according to the equations:

v2 = Ae-2kx - (g/k) (upward motion)

v2 = (g/k) - Be2kx (downward motion)

in which A and B are constants of integration, g is the acceleration of gravity, and k = (c2 /m) where c2 is the drag constant and m is the mass of the bullet.

Now this problem I did not have any particular problem solving after some guidance from my professor. For this one I just took the integral of F(v) = -mg - cv2 and F(v) = mg - cv2 for the upward and downward motions respectively. It is the following question that I am hungup on.

2. Use the above result to show that, when the bullet hits the ground on its return, the speed is equal to the expression:

((v0vt) / ((v02 + vt2)^(1/2))

in which v0 is the initial upward speed and vt = (mg/c2)^(1/2) = terminal speed = (g/k)^(1/2).

I am primarily having the problem of setting up this problem. Since it wants us to take into consideration the upward and downward motion of the bullet, I would assume you would want to add the velocities of the first problem, but I could be entirely wrong about that. Also considered starting out with taking the sum of the forces of the first problem:

F(v) = -mg -cv2 and F(v) = mg-cv2 but I don't think that would work out if I integrated it then. Any help on setting up this problem would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Matt Q. Welcome to PF!

Can you use your "upward" equation to relate the constant A to the initial and terminal speeds?

Can you use the same equation to relate the maximum height to the initial and terminal speeds?

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Matt, welcome to PF :smile:

Nice exercise. I haven't cracked it yet, but if I were you I'd do what it says: use the above result and see how far you can get.
    You have v02 = A - g/k, vt2 = g/k and you want vf2=g/k - B.
    If you can connect A and B you should have cracked it. Any idea where to make this link ?

[edit]T was 60sec faster, but seems to agree. I leave you two to finish this up -- and go to bed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted