1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free fall velocity with air resistance/drag

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am analyzing free fall motion in my computer code class.
    We haven't really discussed much about air resistance and it is a bit of a foreign topic for me.
    I am searching the internet as much as I can for information on it, but would really appreciate talking to someone here regarding it.

What I've been giving is
    F_d = -bv where b is a constant and v is velocity.
    Teacher said to use our decay problem as an example code for this. Suggesting that I may use something of the form Ae^...

I'm just not sure how this all relates.

I search online and it seems like there are many many different types/examples of air resistance equations/examples.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

RJLiberator

Gold Member

So I'm observing
    v(t) = mg/b-(e^(-bt))*mg/b
    But, in my problem there is no mass.

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Sorry to bump, this will be the last time.

I have to code this guy into a free fall problem, problem is, I haven't really worked with air resistance.

Many of the sites (youtube videos and the like) all have the drag force dealing with mass and other such things that I do not consider in my coding problem.

The teacher only gave us this problem:

dv/dt = a - bv

I tried solving this with my limited knowledge of differential equations and found
    a = e^(-bt)+bv
    But this doesn't make much sense to me as, how can a be a part of the velocity graph.
    If acceleration mean the change in velocity maybe I could look at it as a time step? But then e^(-bt) is dependent on time anyway.

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4
    Show us how you solved the differential equation, please.

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Will do.

dv/dt = a - bv

Divide across by dv

1/dt = (a-bv)/dv
    flip everything (inverse)
    dt = dv/(a-bv)

integrate
    t = -log(a-bv)/b

Multiply both sides by -b
    -bt = log(a-bv)

exponentiate
    e^(-bt) = a-bv

a = e^(-bt)+bv

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6
    You left out the constant of integration, required to satisfy the initial condition at t = 0.

8. Jan 31, 2016 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

At time = 0 there would be an initial velocity?

So would it just become a = e^(-bt)+bv-v_i

9. Jan 31, 2016 #8
    The initial velocity is zero, and your equation doesn't satisfy that. The correct solution should be:

$$v=a\frac{(1-e^{-bt})}{b}$$

10. Jan 31, 2016 #9

RJLiberator

Gold Member

v = (a-ae^(-bt))/b

So this equation is not dependent on mass, which is good.
    But, the problem I am having with this is it is dependent on acceleration and velocity.
    I have the duty of coding a graph of the equation of velocity from a free falling object.
    I have successfully made the graph for the case without air resistance.

So I figure the graph with air resistance shouldn't be too hard. It should be a simple extension.
    When I look at this equation, I am left wondering how to incorporate it into my code.

v is what we are looking for.

1) b, I have no idea what b is. I know it's a constant that is dependent on the fluid it traverses, but how am I suppose to give it numerical value? Should I make it a user input and suggest some values for b?
    b is determined by vterm = mg/b
    But I don't have a mass, and what would be my terminal velocity? Don't have that either.

I suppose I can let the user input values for b, but I am struggling even finding realistic values to suggest.

2) And then there is acceleration. Can I represent that by a small change in time of the velocity? OR could that Just be gravity = 9.81?

11. Jan 31, 2016 #10
    I don't know how you want to handle b. It depends on how technically correct you want to be. Is this for a physics course or a math course?
    You should have a = g in your equations. As far as terminal velocity is concerned, it is the value of v when t is infinite. What does your equation say?

12. Jan 31, 2016 #11

RJLiberator

Gold Member

I think the best route to go is to let b be user inputted at this point.

Thank you for the confirmation on a = g and understanding of terminal velocity.
    When t is infinite, terminal velocity is a/b which is 9.81/b.

This is for a physics course entitled Mathematical and Computational methods for Physicists.

Your help here has been extremely important in my understanding of what I have to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted