Show that air drag varies quadratically with speed

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the speed of a bullet fired straight up varies with height according to two equations, accounting for air drag. The equations are derived using the differential equation for acceleration and incorporating the given information about gravity, drag constant, and mass. The conversation ends with a question about how to incorporate the original equations into the solution.
monkeyboy590

Homework Statement

A gun is fired straight up. Assuming that the air drag on the bullet varies quadratically with speed. Show that speed varies with height according to the equations

v^2 = Ae^(-2kx) - g/k (upward motion)
V^2 = g/k - Be^(2kx) (downward motion)

in which A and B are constants of integration, g is the acceleration of gravity, k=cm, where c is the drag constant and m is the mass of the bullet. (Note: x is measured positive upward, and the gravitational force is assumed to be constant.)

Homework Equations

m dv/dt = mg - cv^2 = mg(1 - cv^2/mg)
.'. dv/dt = g(1 - v^2/v(sub t)^2) where v(sub t) is the terminal speed, sqrt(mg/c)

dv/dt = dv/dx dx/dt = 1/2 dv^2/dx
So now we can write the equation as:

dv^2/dx = 2g(1 - v^2/v(sub t)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten as far as to say:

For downward motion:
v^2 = g/k(1exp^[2kx]) + v(naught)^2.exp^[2kx]​
Likewise for upward, we get:
v^2 = g/k(1-exp^[-2kx]) + v(naught)^2.exp^[-2kx]​

I just don't know how to relate these to the original equation to show that speed varies with height.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already know that

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=g \large(1-\frac{v^{2}}{v^{2}_{T}} \large)[/tex]

Now it is also true that

[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

So ...

To be completely honest, I'm not sure where you're going with that.

I'm not sure how to show specifically that the speed varies with the height. What variable would I use to represent speed, and how do I incorporate the original equations that were given in the problem into this solution?

Thank you so much for your help!

Look at the equations I gave you. If the right sides are equal to the same thing, the acceleration, then the right sides are equal to each other. Then you get a differential equation that you can solve to find v(x). Isn't that what you want?

1. How does air drag affect an object's speed?

The amount of air drag on an object increases as its speed increases, causing it to slow down. This relationship is known as quadratic variation, meaning that the air drag varies quadratically with speed.

2. What factors influence the amount of air drag on an object?

The amount of air drag on an object is affected by its speed, density of the air, and the object's shape and surface area. As an object moves faster, it experiences a greater amount of air resistance, and objects with larger surface areas and less aerodynamic shapes experience more air drag.

3. How is the quadratic relationship between air drag and speed calculated?

The equation for air drag varies quadratically with speed is F = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where F is the force of air drag, ρ is the density of the air, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

4. Why does air drag increase exponentially with speed?

As an object moves faster, it displaces more air molecules, resulting in a larger amount of air resistance. This increase in air resistance is not proportional to the increase in speed, but rather follows a quadratic relationship, causing air drag to increase exponentially with speed.

5. How does air drag affect different types of objects?

The amount of air drag on an object depends on its shape and surface area. Objects with larger surface areas or less aerodynamic shapes, such as parachutes or flat sheets, experience a greater amount of air drag compared to objects with smaller surface areas or more streamlined shapes, such as bullets or airplanes.