Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating voltage drops in cables with vectors?

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    Hey.

If i Have a 3x400VAC system, and I want to calculate the voltage drop over the cable "vectorially" - or what you call it :) - how do I do this?
    U.nominal=400V

I have tried this method:
    [itex]\Delta[/itex]U.conductor=I.1*Z.cable1+I.2*Z.cable2+etc. and then I will have to find the new voltage ->
    [itex]\Delta[/itex]U.phase=U.conductor*[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]
    U.new=U.nominal-[itex]\Delta[/itex]U.phase

When I'm calculating this with angles, I actually get a higher voltage, after the voltage drop :D
    The voltage drop is cause by a electrical motor starting.

In school we learn it this way:
    [itex]\varphi[/itex].motor=80 degrees

U.new=U.nominal-[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]*I1*Length.cable1*(R.cable1*cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]+X.cable1*sin[itex]\varphi[/itex])+[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]*I2*Length.cable2(R.cable2*cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]+X.cable2*sin[itex]\varphi[/itex])+etc.
    But that is not with vectors.

Hope you understand?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I'm pretty weak with respect to power factor stuff, but sin and cos are intimately tied to the vector quantities.

Acosβ represents the X component and Asinβ the Y component of a vector of magnitude A at angle β (usually called real and imaginary parts).

If you want to add two vectors you can add their respective X parts and Y parts to determine the new X and Y parts of the resulting vector.

You can probably go through the equations you posted and see where the vector math is happening.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook