Calculating Work Done by Variable Force

In summary, the author found the area beneath the curve by putting the values from 0.001 to 10 into Excel, and putting in the equation for all values. It looks like this: x (in meters) f(x) area of each increment 0.1 9.952 0.009952 0.2 9.816 0.009816 0.3 9.604 0.009604 0.4 9
rock4christ

Homework Statement

I need To find the work done by a force that varies with position like this:
F(x)=2x^3 -5x^2 +10

with x at values between 0 to 10 meters.

Homework Equations

see above, and maybe w=fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the area underneath the curve by putting the values from 0.001 to 10 into Excel, and putting in the equation for all values. it looks like this:

x (in meters) f(x) area of each increment
0.1 9.952 0.009952
0.2 9.816 0.009816
0.3 9.604 0.009604
0.4 9.328 0.009328
0.5 9 0.009
0.6 8.632 0.008632
0.7 8.236 0.008236
0.8 7.824 0.007824
0.9 7.408 0.007408
1 7 0.007
1.1 6.612 0.006612
1.2 6.256 0.006256

area of all increments(using 0.001, not 0.1)

^thats just a sample and is only using .1 increments.

would 3434.083375 actually be my final answer for the work performed, or would that be the force, and if so, what distance would I multiply it by?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to solve it (approximately) nunerically instead with integration, then for each delta-X, you multiply the force in that delta-X by the delta-X, and add up all those pieces of the work to get the total.

berkeman said:
If you're going to solve it (approximately) nunerically instead with integration, then for each delta-X, you multiply the force in that delta-X by the delta-X, and add up all those pieces of the work to get the total.

I believe that's what I did, because I took my force, of say 6.612, and * it by .001 and did that for all of them, and added it up. I am wanting to know if that answer is the work done or not.

In your relevant equations, you listed W=fd. So it would seem you have calculated the correct thing.

There is a subtlety, though in doing numerical calculations like this. You will get small errors for each delta-X section, because the delta-Work that you are calculating is not exact. That's why you will later learn to use integration to calculate the exact total work -- integration basically uses infinitesimally small delta-X sections (called "dx"). One improvement you could make to your numerical calculation is to use the y value for the middle of each delta-X section, rather than the value at the end of the delta-X section as you are doing now.

Yeah I'm not in Calculus yet, so Integrals wouldn't be an option even IF he hadn't specifically said we couldn't use it.

What is work and how is it related to force?

Work is the measure of energy transfer that occurs when a force is applied over a distance. It is directly proportional to both the magnitude of the force and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

What is a variable force and how is it different from a constant force?

A variable force is one that changes in magnitude or direction as the object it is acting on moves. This is different from a constant force, which remains the same throughout the entire displacement of the object.

How do you calculate work done by a variable force?

To calculate work done by a variable force, you need to integrate the force function with respect to displacement. This will give you the total work done over the entire displacement of the object.

What are some examples of variable forces in everyday life?

Some examples of variable forces include gravity (which changes depending on the mass of the objects involved), friction (which changes depending on the surface and speed of the object), and air resistance (which changes depending on the shape and speed of the object).

How can the calculation of work done by variable force be applied in real-world scenarios?

The calculation of work done by variable force can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the energy needed to lift an object against gravity, determining the force needed to stop a moving car, or calculating the power output of a machine with changing force. It is also essential in understanding and designing complex systems, such as engines and machines, that involve variable forces.