1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation and Uniqueness of Smith Normal Forms

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1

jj4

FYI this is a homework problem which I already have the answer to but would like to clarify some points on.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Smith Normal Form of the matrix

[tex]
    \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 6 & 0 & 4 \\ 0 & 6 & 8 \\ 0 & 3 & 0 \end{array} \right]
    [/tex]

over the ring of integers.

2. Relevant equations

As I understand it Smith Normal Forms are unique up to multiplication by a unit in R.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have performed a series of elementary row and column operations to get to the following Smith Normal Form:

[tex]
    \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 6 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -24 \end{array} \right]
    [/tex]

However the "answer" given is actually:

[tex]
    \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -24 \end{array} \right]
    [/tex]

The only units in the ring are 1 and -1 so the answers are not equivalent and presumably I have gone wrong somewhere. Can someone help me out here. My problem is not only related to this example, I have the same issue with others. Is it because my Smith Normal Form and the original matrix are not actually equivalent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

jj4

I'm just looking for a basic explanation of how to calculate Smith Normal Forms. Is this thread in the correct sub-forum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook