Calculation involving the reactance of a combination

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of reactances and impedances to solve a problem. The effective impedance is calculated using a brute force approach and the effective reactance is set to zero. The possibility of a simpler method is also mentioned, as the voltage and current have zero phase difference. The reactive power drawn from the source is ultimately found to be zero, using the power triangle and trigonometry.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
A loop containing a ##20 \Omega## resistor in series with a ##3 \text{mH}## inductor is wired in parallel with another loop containing a capacitor of unknown capacitance ##C##. Calculate ##C## if the reactance of the combination is zero at ##50\text{Hz}##.
Relevant Equations
##Z = R + iX##
If just found out about reactances and impedances today and came across this little problem. I have worked it through with a sort of brute force approach (that I'm not totally sure is correct!) but wondered if it could be done slightly more quickly?

I denoted the impedance of the top branch ##Z_{1} = 20 + \frac{3\pi}{10}i## and that of the bottom branch ##Z_{2} = -\frac{i}{100\pi C}##. The effective impedance follows from ##Z_{T} = \frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{Z_{1} + Z_{2}}##, and the effective reactance is the imaginary part of this which may then be set to zero after rationalising the denominator.

This all seems okay however does the fact that the voltage and current end up having zero phase difference suggest a slightly nicer method, or is this wishful thinking? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
This all seems okay however does the fact that the voltage and current end up having zero phase difference suggest a slightly nicer method,
Yes. As the source voltage and source current are in phase, the reactive power drawn from the source is zero. You can work it out using the power triangle with elementary trigonometry.

1. What is reactance and how does it affect calculations involving a combination of components?

Reactance is the measure of opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is caused by the presence of capacitance or inductance in the circuit. In calculations involving a combination of components, reactance must be taken into account to determine the overall impedance of the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the reactance of a single component?

The reactance of a single component can be calculated using the formula X = 1/(2πfC) for capacitors and X = 2πfL for inductors, where X is the reactance in ohms, f is the frequency in hertz, C is the capacitance in farads, and L is the inductance in henries.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total reactance of a combination of components?

The total reactance of a combination of components can be calculated using the formula X_total = √(X1^2 + X2^2 + ... + Xn^2), where X_total is the total reactance in ohms and X1, X2, ..., Xn are the individual reactance values of each component in the combination.

4. How does reactance affect the overall impedance of a circuit?

Reactance, along with resistance, determines the overall impedance of a circuit. The impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current and is calculated using the formula Z = √(R^2 + X^2), where R is the resistance in ohms and X is the reactance in ohms. Therefore, the higher the reactance, the higher the impedance of the circuit.

5. What is the significance of reactance in AC circuits?

In AC circuits, reactance plays a crucial role in determining the flow of current. It is responsible for the phase difference between voltage and current, which can affect the efficiency and power factor of the circuit. Reactance also helps in controlling the amount of current flowing through a circuit, making it an important factor in circuit design and analysis.