Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of power for battery charging

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1

AP1

Hi - I am trying to calculate the power required to charge a battery in order to compare the energy requirements of an electric scooter versus an internal combustion scooter. The electrical scooter specifications state:

battery: 12V/50AH x 4
    time to 90% charge: 4.5 - 6 hours
    charger: 400W / 7A

Am I correct in assuming that to recharge a discharged battery to 90%, it would take 2.4 kWh (i.e. 400 W x 6 h)?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

AP

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

madmike159

Gold Member

I think when you recharge a battery it is only about 50% efficient. I think your calculation is right.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I always thought battery chargers were more efficient than that. In any case, your numbers give 135W for the battery and 400 for the charger, an efficiency of 34%.

When someone asks me a question that involves charging efficiency (such as evaluating an electric vehicle), I typically use something like 90%. But I don't really have any basis for that.

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I guess we have to assume you are charging a lead acid battery.

Given that assumption, your assumption is not correct.

A good charger will have 2 stages:
    1. Maximum current with a rising voltage
    2. Maximum voltage with a descending current

So the charger will not be operating at the rated power and current over the full charge.

Without having a Kill-A-Watt meter, you can estimate the power transferred to the battery by graphing the voltage and current about every 30 minutes.

6. Sep 13, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Sep 15, 2008 #6

AP1

Thanks for all of the replies. The problem I have is that I do not have the batteries and charger to actually measure the power demand during a recharge cycle. I am trying to estimate this so that I can calculate (again, an estimation) the equivalent CO2 emission of electricity generation versus the same for a gasoline engine. I already know the CO2 emissions per kWh for the local electricity supply and so need to estimate the kWh required to charge the e-scooter battery.

Best regards,

AP

8. Sep 22, 2008 #7
    Chargers might reach 86% efficient but the charging process is a similar figure and then there are losses in the vehicle particular if 3 phase AC motors are used.

You must not discharge a battery too much otherwise it wont last long. They has been a debate what the Ah means?? Real useful power without demaging the battery or a 'theoretical' figure if the battery was 100% discharged.

Then there are transmission losses from the power station of 7 - 10%..

Long chains involving energy conversions add up to large overall losses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?