Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Torque for Drive Pulley of Roller Conveyor

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    Anyone can help me to calculate the Torque for Drive Pulley of Rolling Conveyor?
    The details below:
    - Roller Conveyor : length = 18m (speed of the belt conveyor is 2.5m / sec)
    - Conveyor consists of 25 roller, 1 drive pulley & 1 tail pulley
    - Total load of the conveyor : 5,500 kg

To move the conveyor, we install Drive Pulley with diameter of 550mm, and connected to Gear Box (RPM = 95) + Motor (5,5 HP ; RPM 1,500)

How do we calculate how much is the Torque of the Drive Pulley?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Power is linear speed times force. (F v)
    Also, it's also rotational speed times torque (2πf τ)
    where f is revs per second

You just put these on the sides of an equation and put in what you know to what you want to find out.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is difficult to find the torque required because you need to know friction, which is difficult to estimate. A company I know who makes conveyors for large animal cages assumes a friction coefficient of 1.0, in other words if you hang the load off the side the conveyor and tilt the machine up, it would be strong enough to lift it vertically.

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    Can you help which equation I should use?
    I'm new with conveyor matters but got a job that asked me to install Belt Conveyor.

Appreciate your help.

6. Oct 25, 2012 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry - that was a Maths thing. What I meant was that you put those two expressions equal to each other - which makes an equation. So
    Linear speed times force = rotational speed times torque
    You know everything but the torque so you take rotational speed onto the other side to get the torque:
    Torque = linear speed times force / rotational speed
    (not forgetting the 2pi in my other post and to convert rpm into revs per second)
    That should do it.

7. Oct 25, 2012 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you posted this Question on another thread I answered as follows...

As others have said.. I don't think you have enough information to calculate it any other way. You need info on the friction in the rollers etc when carrying 5500KG. Ask the manufacturer perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook