Calculating the propulsive force acting on a car's wheels

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modelling a car in a simulator and the difficulties in accounting for geartrains and the relationship between torque and rpm. Various equations are proposed for calculating velocity and force, but none seem to account for all factors accurately. The conversation also mentions the limitations of a motor in terms of maximum torque and power, and the complexity of accounting for friction and wind resistance in the simulation.
Temp89
I'm modelling a car in a simulator for fun. The sim's method of acceleration is to apply a force in Newtons on a selected wheel. I've browsed a few topics and whilst some come close there doesn't seem to be any equations that takes into account geartrains. Also I'm fuzzy on the relationship between torque and rpm. Equations seem to use one and exclude the other. I know that higher gears reduce torque and increase RPM but they shouldn't cancel each other out.

I have calculated the drag and rolling resistance in Newtons. I have the wheel radius, torque and RPM curves, the car's mass, the transmission gear and the differential/final drive gear ratios. The car is FWD. For simplicity, assume there is 1 gear ratio with a fixed rpm & torque output.

F = ma, naturally.

Here says we can get velocity using RPM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_train#Example_2
v = [(wheel rad * 2 * pi) * engine rpm]/(trans gear * drive gear)

And looking at equations from here
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cars-power-torque-d_1784.html
Force = [(Torque * gear ratio) * (Engine RPM / gear ratio) * efficency value]/(wheel radius * wheel RPM)

which does actually give a reasonable value except gear ratio has no impact and it tries to divide by zero if the car is still.

Physics news on Phys.org
In practice, a motor is limited both in regard to max torque it can generate and max power. At low speeds, max torque is the limiting factor. As the speed increases, the max power limitation lowers the max torque that can be generated.

Did some more research. Have some better equations but still not quite right. Top speeds of low gears are too high and high gears too low.

Engine RPM is determined by accelerator input.

Wheel RPM = Engine RPM/(Gear Ratio*Final Drive)

This is the max speed the wheels can be turned by the engine and if the game detects it as higher due to downhill or whatever acceleration cuts to 0.

Engine Torque is taken from the point on the curve corresponding to the Engine RPM.

Wheel Torque = (Engine Torque * Gear Ratio * Final Drive * efficiency coefficient)/Wheel Radius

It accounts for both acceleration and velocity. Does that seem correct?

Engine rpm is not determined by throttle input: torque is determined by accelerator input.

It seems like you are trying to build a model that finds a way to ignore friction/wind resistance. I'm not sure there is a way to do that that will have any kind of realistic feel to it. Certainly you can't directly equate rpm with accelerator input, otherwise you'd have near instant speed changes.

Temp89 said:
Wheel Torque = (Engine Torque * Gear Ratio * Final Drive * efficiency coefficient)/Wheel Radius
That is dimensionally wrong. The left hand side has dimension force x distance, but the right has dimension of force. Have you conflated two equations?

1. How is the propulsive force of a car's wheels calculated?

The propulsive force of a car's wheels is calculated by multiplying the engine torque by the gear ratio and dividing it by the radius of the wheels.

2. What factors affect the propulsive force of a car's wheels?

The factors that affect the propulsive force of a car's wheels include the engine torque, gear ratio, tire size, and weight of the car.

3. How does the gear ratio affect the propulsive force of a car's wheels?

The gear ratio plays a crucial role in determining the propulsive force of a car's wheels. A lower gear ratio provides more torque, resulting in a higher propulsive force, while a higher gear ratio provides less torque and a lower propulsive force.

4. Can the propulsive force of a car's wheels be increased?

Yes, the propulsive force of a car's wheels can be increased by increasing the engine torque, changing the gear ratio, or using larger tires with a larger radius.

5. How does the weight of a car affect the propulsive force of its wheels?

The weight of a car can affect the propulsive force of its wheels by increasing the resistance to motion. A heavier car will require more propulsive force to overcome this resistance and accelerate, while a lighter car will require less propulsive force.