Calculation of work done -- force confusion

In summary: It would be fine for the external force to be equal [and opposite] to the field if both the field and the external force were constant.
gracy

Homework Statement

Consider a point charge Q placed at point O.Consider any point p in the field of the Q.Charge q is placed at point p.Charge q is then moved from point p to s the distance i=between p and s is dr.Calculate work done.
y
dr.png

Homework Equations

##dW=##-##F^→.dr^→##

The Attempt at a Solution

Now what I don't understand is why my book takes F is equal to ##E^→.q##
I mean it moves by external force not the field force.Applied External force has nothing to do with force of electric field.

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:

Homework Statement

Consider a point charge Q placed at point O.Consider any point p in the field of the Q.Charge q is placed at point p.Charge q is then moved from point p to s the distance i=between p and s is dr.Calculate work done.
y
View attachment 89490

Homework Equations

##dW=##-##F^→.dr^→##

Now what I don't understand is why my book takes F is equal to ##E^→.q##
I mean it moves by external force not the field force.Applied External force has nothing to do with force of electric field.
Yes, but how do you know how much external force to apply to move the charge away from Q?

BTW, F = qE should be lurking somewhere in your chapter on electrostatics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatics

gracy said:

Homework Statement

Do you want to calculate the work done by the electric field on the point charge as it is moved? Or the work done by an external force against that field in order to move the point charge?

Assuming that the point charge starts and ends at rest then the Work Energy theorem has something to say. The work done by the one and the work done by the other must add to zero. The other will have the same magnitude and opposite sign.

So, up to sign, it does not matter which one you calculate. Pick the one that you can calculate from the information at hand.

Homework Equations

##dW=##-##F^→.dr^→##

Now what I don't understand is why my book takes F is equal to ##E^→.q##.
The book has chosen to calculate the work done by the field. The force by the field on the charge is obviously given by the above formula.

It does have something to do with it. As above, the applied force (averaged over distance) must be equal and opposite to the field force.

jbriggs444 said:
the work done by an external force against that field in order to move the point charge?
actually I don't know my book mentions this work done calculation while calculating voltage at point p.I don't know whether this work done is by electric field or any other force.And it does mention that F external is equal to - q ##E^→##

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
the applied force (averaged over distance) must be equal and opposite to the field force
Why sir?

gracy said:
Why sir?
By the work energy theorem. The integral of force times incremental distance adds up to work done. If we assume that no kinetic energy is gained or lost then the total work must be zero. So the integral of the field force over the path must be equal and opposite to the integral of the external force over the path. So their averages (over the path) must be equal and opposite.

gracy said:
actually I don't know my book mentions this work done calculation while calculating voltage at point p.I don't know whether this work done is by electric field or any other force.And it does mention that F external is equal to - q ##E^→##
If you want to move the charge slowly (i.e. without accelerating it significantly) or if the charge is of negligible mass (like an electron) then the external force must be essentially equal [and opposite] to the field force.

jbriggs444 said:
If you want to move the charge slowly (i.e. without accelerating it significantly) or if the charge is of negligible mass (like an electron) then the external force must be essentially equal [and opposite] to the field force.
or or and?I mean are these two essential conditions or only one of them would be fine for the external force to be equal [and opposite] to the field force

You tell me. In the equation f=ma, what two conditions could make f=0. Do both conditions need to apply? Or only one?

jbriggs444 said:
Or only one?
only one will do!

jbriggs444 said:
then the external force must be essentially equal [and opposite] to the field force.
but then the force would become zero.how equal and opposite to the field force?

gracy said:
but then the force would become zero.how equal and opposite to the field force?
In the equation f=ma, f denotes the total force. It is the sum of all of the individual forces on the body.

If f=ffield + fexternal, if we know that f is zero and if ffield = 324.5 Newtons, what is fexternal?

jbriggs444 said:
You tell me. In the equation f=ma, what two conditions could make f=0. Do both conditions need to apply? Or only one?
I think we should rather think of how the workdone becomes zero,Not force

gracy said:
The fact that you do not like the question you asked is no reason to object to the answer.

gracy said:
jbriggs444 said:
The work done by the one and the work done by the other must add to zero.
You did not say/write that force should add up to zero.

jbriggs444 said:
If we assume that no kinetic energy is gained or lost then the total work must be zero.
jbriggs444 said:
The work done by the one and the work done by the other must add to zero.
gracy said:
gracy said:
You did not say/write that force should add up to zero.

Please stop responding multiple times to the same posting. It is annoying. I am no longer certain what point you are trying to make. Work done is intimately related to force applied.

If the net force is always zero then the work done will clearly be zero regardless of the path traversed. That follows trivially from the fact that the integral of zero is zero.

If the work done is zero and the path traversed is of non-zero length then the net force will average to zero as long as we do an average over distance. That follows trivially from the definition of the suitable average.

So pick one -- force or work. Which one do you want to talk about? What question do you have about it?

jbriggs444 said:
gracy said:
or or and?I mean are these two essential conditions or only one of them would be fine for the external force to be equal [and opposite] to the field force

jbriggs444 said:
Why are you making individual force zero by taking "a" (acceleration)zero OR mass zero.Individual forces have to have certain magnitude(but equal and opposite)to make NET FORCE zero and as a result work done would be zero no matter how much the distance traveled is.So we are making the net force zero and that too by equal and opposite forces not by putting m=0
as far as acceleration =0 is concerned it is required here because the electron should not change it's kinetic energy thus not accelerate.It can increase it's potential energy.I am not getting why m≅0 is an important point here?

jbriggs444 said:
what is fexternal?
-324.5 Newtons

gracy said:

Homework Statement

Consider a point charge Q placed at point O.Consider any point p in the field of the Q.Charge q is placed at point p.Charge q is then moved from point p to s the distance between p and s is dr.Calculate work done.

When speaking about "Work" we have to specify the force that does the work and the object on the work is done. So the question in the OP is meaningless, as it does not specify the force.
It can ask the work done by the electric field on the charge q while it moves from p to s. Or an external force can be specified and the work of that force can be asked.

1. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force. The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object moves.

2. How is force related to work?

Force is directly related to work. The more force that is applied to an object, the more work will be done. This means that if the force is doubled, the work will also be doubled, as long as the distance remains the same.

3. What is the difference between work and power?

While work is the transfer of energy, power is the rate at which work is done. Power is calculated by dividing work by time, and it is measured in watts (W). In other words, power measures how quickly work is being done, while work measures the total energy transferred.

4. How can I calculate work when the force and distance are not constant?

If the force or distance is not constant, the work can still be calculated by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be done by dividing the total distance into smaller increments and calculating the work for each increment, then adding them all together to get the total work done.

5. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This means that the force applied is actually doing work against the direction of the displacement, resulting in negative work. For example, if you push a box up a hill, the force you applied is in the same direction as the displacement, so the work would be positive. However, if you push the box down the hill, the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in negative work.