1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1 Solving logarithmic equation

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    Solve for b,
    f(x)=b^x

Here is where I am so far
    lny=lnb^x
    lny=xlnb^x
    y'/y= lnb
    e^y'/y= e^lnb
    b= e^y'/y

My question is, can I simplify the exponent y'/y any further, or is my answer good here?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2
    You say to solve for b in the function [itex]f\left(x\right) = b^{x}[/itex]. From the answer provided you solve for b in terms of [itex]f\left(x\right)[/itex] and [itex]f'\left(x\right)[/itex]. Does the original problem ask for you to solve for b in terms of these functions? It is possible to solve for b in terms of only [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]f\left(x\right)[/itex].

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    It does not require taking the derivative, that was simply the first idea I had. If there is an alternate way, please show me

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4
    Look at the second line of the work that you have already provided. It should actually be [itex]ln\left(y\right) = xln\left(b\right)[/itex]. If x is not equal to zero, then you can divide both sides by x. The rest of the simplification is left to you.

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rather than using logs, take both sides of the equation, y=bx, to the 1/x power.

7. Jul 4, 2011 #6
    thanks, I made the problem so much harder than I needed to. The redirect helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook