Calculus 2 - Trig Integrals Question (Integrating cos^2x)

In summary, you can integrate cos(2u) and cos(4u) using the identities cos2(u)=[cos2(u)]2 and cos4(u)=[cos2(u)]4.
Civil_Disobedient
1. Here's the problem on trig integrating that I'm struggling with (Calculus 2 btw)
20180208_125339.jpg

2. Wanted to see if I did everything right so far and what to do after all this. The part where I'm stuck is how to integrate (integral)cos^(2)udu and (integral)cos^(2)usin^(2)udu. I'm sure these are easy integrals, but I'm terrible with trig identities and when or how to use them. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20180208_125339.jpg
    20180208_125339.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,305
Physics news on Phys.org
Civil_Disobedient said:
1. Here's the problem on trig integrating that I'm struggling with (Calculus 2 btw)
View attachment 220007
2. Wanted to see if I did everything right so far and what to do after all this. The part where I'm stuck is how to integrate (integral)cos^(2)udu and (integral)cos^(2)usin^(2)udu. I'm sure these are easy integrals, but I'm terrible with trig identities and when or how to use them. Any suggestions?
Please don't delete the homework template -- its use is required here.

Here are two identities that will help you:
##\cos^2(u) = \frac {1 + \cos(2u)} 2##
##\sin^2(u) = \frac {1 - \cos(2u)} 2##
The first one can be used directly in your first integral. For the second integral, replace each ##\cos^2(u)## factor, multiply out, and work from there, using the identities above, as needed.

Last edited:
Civil_Disobedient said:
View attachment 220007

I have not read your work because I do not look at handwritten images---only typed work. However, it looks like you are doing a lot of extra work. It might be better to use integration by parts.

If ##I_n = \int \cos^n (u) \, du##, then integration by parts gives
$$\begin{array}{rl}I_n = &\sin(u) \cos^{n-1}(u) + (n-1) \int \sin^2(u) \cos^{n-2}(u) \, du\\
=& \sin(u) \cos^{n-1}(u) + (n-1) \int \cos^{n-2} (u) \, du - (n-1) \int \cos^n (u) \, du,
\end{array}
$$
and the last term is ##-(n-1) I_n##,
so we get an equation for ##I_n##:
$$I_n = \frac{1}{n} \sin(u) \cos^{n-1}(u) + \frac{n-1}{n} I_{n-2}.$$
So, you can express ##I_8## in terms of ##I_6##, ##I_6## in terms of ##I_4##, etc. That process ends at ##I_2##, which is easy.

cos4(u)=[cos2(u)]2. Apply @Mark44's hint twice, then you have cos(2u) and cos(4u) and a constant to integrate.

1. What is the formula for integrating cos^2x?

The formula for integrating cos^2x is ∫cos^2x dx = 1/2x + 1/4sin2x + C

2. How do I know when to use trigonometric identities when integrating cos^2x?

You can use trigonometric identities when integrating cos^2x if the integrand contains a squared trigonometric function or a product of trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use the power rule to integrate cos^2x?

No, the power rule is only applicable for polynomial functions and cos^2x is not a polynomial function.

4. How do I evaluate the antiderivative of cos^2x?

To evaluate the antiderivative of cos^2x, you can use the half-angle formula cos^2x = 1/2(1 + cos2x) and then integrate each term separately.

5. What is the difference between integrating cos^2x and integrating sin^2x?

The main difference is that the antiderivative of cos^2x includes a sine term, while the antiderivative of sin^2x includes a cosine term. Additionally, the integration formulas for the two are slightly different.